A motor needed for a Sears Jointer - Plainer 4 1/8" #149.236222

loger_gwOctober 25, 2012

A motor needed for a Sears Jointer - Plainer 4 1/8" #149.236222, motor # NL73512 by Northland. Sears has discontinued the tool and motor W/O any leftover motors. A friend is trying to find a motor to put the nice tool back in service. We'll appreciate any help in finding a replacement motor. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krnuttle

I am not clear if you have a motor that you think is dead or you got a good deal and are looking for a motor to put on it.

It it is the dead motor, then you may revive it by cleaning the inside of the motor. About 11 years ago I thought the motor on my table saw was dead. I took it to a small electric motor repair shop. He showed me how to clean the area where the contacts area inside of the motor and it has ran perfectly ever since then.

I periodically clean those contact, depending on the useage of the saw, about every 2 to 3 years

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 7:20PM
loger_gw

He is looking for a motor or repair. The motor appears to have bad end-play spacers or bad bearings. It has too much end-play which causes the pulley end of the shaft to have too much vertical play. Our local small electrical motor shops have past on with the Good Original Owners. Grainger is one of our last hopes and they are not too interested in helping.

I have cleaned many contacts (on open motors vs sealed due to dust, paint, etc) an other parts were good. The indicators have been low or no power vs the excessive play this motor has.

Thanks for the reply and info!

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 10:58PM
javert

Loger, the 149 prefix before the model number indicates that the planer was made by American Machine & Tool - maybe something there?

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 9:11PM
krnuttle

Have you looked a places like Harbor Freight, (Duck here comes the arrows) They usually have a lot of small motors. I don't know how far into the city you live, but we have:
AgriSupply
http://www.agrisupply.com/garner-north-carolina/a/87/

Tractor Supply
http://www.tractorsupply.com/

Northern Tools.
http://www.northerntool.com/

I am sure there are others.

These guys cater to to the farmer and contractors, and have all kinds of neat stuff. From wrenches for 2" Bolts, to amimal supplies, live chickens (in season), etc.

They usually have a section with small engines. If they don't have them I will bet they know where to get one.

Bookmark   October 26, 2012 at 10:17PM
ewalk

Loger , even since your local elect jobbers have declined assistance numerous state wide elect. motor manufacturers could possibly help within a replacement motor within the specifications of the oem unit. Failing this local auto starter and alternator repair shops stock bearings brushs and stator replacment parts which can be used for a rebuild. Unfortunate that motor rewinding has become a thing of the past locally in most areas . Good luck and keep us posted .

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 10:52AM
nod702(z7Tenn.)

Motor on my Craftsman table saw recently went out (direct drive motor). I looked up a replacement motor from the Sears site. I was shocked. A motor cost more than i paid for the saw. (bought used). I took the motor out and found that the rear bearing on the armature was bad. Local Sears said i would have to buy a complete armature, that bearings were not sold seperate.$138. plus shipping. I took the armature to Napa they crossed the bearing number, had one in stock for less than five dollars. I cut the old bearing off with my Dremel, put the armature in a ZipLoc bag, put in the freezer for a couple of hours to shrink the shaft. Put the new bearing on, put it back together and the motor works like new.

Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 7:07PM
bill_kapaun

There should be a number on the motor that you can cross to the Grainger catalog.
It's been a few years since I did that but I found a 220V motor for an electric wall heater that way.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 11:36PM
handyman.2

i have the same problem, but mine is beyond repair.
have you found one yet

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 9:41PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

It should be very easy to retrofit a motor on these. Both of mine have separate motors with a belt.

Bookmark   April 25, 2014 at 6:01AM
More Discussions
MTD 8HP SnowBlower
I have an MTD 8hp SnowBlower Mod # 317E640F352. The...
Jeffery Smith
Mantis Tiller purge bulb
I cannot get gasoline to come into the purge bulb....
Alice40
New Ryobi S430 engine dies on full throttle
Just bought a new Ryobi straight shaft 4 Cycle S430...
losrubios
1983 troy-bilt cultivator plus wheels
Read with great interest all the posts so far for the...
rayleman
Stihl Chainsaw - starts but won't run
My trusty (10 yr) old Stihl 16" chainsaw is starting...
uberfusion
Sponsored Products
World Imports Wall Mounted Dark Sky Kingston 1-Light Outdoor Lantern WI909986
$97.30 | Home Depot
Tao Super White Glass Tile
$16.95 | TileBar
Christopher Knight Home Pink Orchid in Black Wave Container
Overstock.com
Westinghouse Wall Mounted 1-Light Textured Black Steel Exterior Wall Lantern
Home Depot
Canyon Ranch Turkish Cotton Solid Bath Mat
$39.50 | FRONTGATE