Running water from house to shed

rredogg(5/Chicago Area)March 21, 2005

I plan on running electric from my house to a shed (maybe 80 feet) and was thinking about running a water line out there also. This would be used for gardening purposes.

what type of line should I be running out there. Copper, plastic or what? I live in the Chicago area and would be concerned with freezing during the winter.

Thanks in advance for the help, rredogg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have done this twice; both times with 1" Poly pipe. For the barn: I ran the poly line from its source, in the basement, to the barn below the frostline (approx. 45") at the barn I installed a frostfree hydrant. Done deal, six years no problems of any sort and no winterization necessary. To the shed I ran poly line approximately 18" below the surface, with a pipe puller, this line gets blown out in late October. four years no problems of any kind. Leaving poly pipe pressurized is a point of contention for some as are it's flow characteristics. Works fine for me.
You could probably go for schedule 40 and fill your bucket 30% faster, for only four times as much $, but why?

    Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 2:06PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
First experience with irrigation system
Our builder installed, as a part of the "package",...
Fixing Scary Sprinklers to Auto.
My parents once hooked up auto-matic sprinklers, then...
Matthew Spencer
Need help with irrigation....
Hi. I have bought 100 meters of 4mm inner diameter...
Carlos Arruda
Help with tricky (at least for me) water access
Hi, I have an issue that I'll be having to deal with...
roots in pipe
Hi, I am new to this forum. I live in Idaho and we...
Sponsored Products
Wyndham Collection Emily Free Standing Soaking Bathtub
Area Rug: Magi San Pablo Chocolate 2' x 3'
$89.97 | Home Depot
Wet Paint Pillow Cover in Plum
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Basic Lytespan 1 Circuit Joiner Track
Thermostatic Shower System with Slide Rail Kit & 6 Square Jet Sprays
Hudson Reed
Powder Coated Black Energy Star Outdoor Wall Lantern with Photocell and White Gl
$39.97 | Bellacor
Fabbian | Sospesa - D42A09
White Glass 6-Light Expandable Rail Track Lighting Kit
Euro Style Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™