Oil Leak Craftsman GT5000 Kohler CV730S

jrsmith_2010May 4, 2010

My dad has a 2004 Craftsman GT5000 with a Kohler CV730S. It started leaking oil - quite a bit - near the end of last mow season. Most of the oil seems to pool on the pulleys directly beneath the engine. After it sits sometime, practically all the oil is drained.

I have searched the web the best I know how and cannot find the solution. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mownie(7)

Link below will get you to the free online manual at Kohler. You should save a copy (it's PDF) to your computer (it's free) and study Section 9 on "Disassembly". Section 9 pretty much shows all the places that have seals and gaskets during the teardown procedure. Figure 9-55 on page 9.15 shows the oil pan and the crankshaft seal. Either of those, or both......could actually be suspect, but I would almost think something might have physically damaged the crankshaft seal (like a piece of wire debris, or string) for it to be leaking as bad as you say. The oil pan gasket could leak that badly but if it was only the oil pan leaking, you would surely see a great deal of oil pooling on the upper frame surfaces too because the oil pan seam is above the places that the engine mounting bolts are located.

Here is a link that might be useful: CV730 SerMan

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 7:41PM
rcmoser

The web is not the solution? You need to clean the engine off and find where the leak orginates from. With that information someone maybe able to help. Use baby power to trace the leak to it orgin.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 9:25AM
oldmaninpa

Jason:I had the same problum. It is the seal on the crank shaft up above your pully.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 1:08AM
More Discussions
Can you identify this Muffler?
I obtained this muffler a while ago, but have no idea...
rodco
John Deere 445 EFI wet plugs
Tractor won't start until you remove both spark plugs and...
stone75
Snapper Riding Lawn Mower Wiring Diagram
I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a Snapper Rear...
byrondallas
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch...
cowgirlrose55
Tractor starter-wrong rotation.
As I have been known locally as a lawn tractor fixer,...
rustyj14
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™