Loropetalum 'Purple Pixie' - how tall/wide does it get?

growitnowJune 15, 2010

Hi,

I want to fill an area near a perennial bed that is about 5ftx3ft with a low growing "red/purple" something. The written description of Loropetalum Purple Pixie suggests

1-2ft tall and 4-5ft wide.

Is this accurate? Once it grows in a bit, does it have a "full" appearance or is it scraggy/branchy. The area is right next to our porch so it would seen frequently and up close.

thanks

zone 7, virginia

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

grow, seems you have a few posts ! do add your zone and location to your i.d. moniker, through your member pg.
it's such critical info for those wanting to learn or teach! how i wish this plant were hardy for us up here!
best,
mindy
www.cottonarboretum.com/

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 2:20PM
growitnow

Mindy,

Thank you, I have done that (or so I think!). I always try to leave zone and state in post, as was the case here, though I added this to stat. I have learned much from the generosity of folk on these boards :)

cheers,
growitnow

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 4:53PM
southernlivingplants

Hi growitnow,

Those dimensions are accurate. I think you will find that Purple Pixie grows in quite full and will stay at about 2 feet tall when mature. It really is a unique loropetalum. Some grow so large they'll swallow your house!

You can find more care/planting tips for Purple Pixie at SouthernLivingPlants.com

Do let us know if you have questions!

Emily

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Pixie Care Tips

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 2:26PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

We're all depending on SLP for information, since Pixie is too new to the market for anyone (at least in my area) to have first hand experience with its eventual dimensions. I have about a half dozen planted around my yard and I really do love them, not only for their size, but also because they hold their color in the summer sun better than any other loropetalum I have grown. They do not seem to grow as quickly as the larger varieties, but in the end, that should be a good thing too.

Bookmark   June 16, 2010 at 5:38PM
More Discussions
Its alive!
Our area experienced the coldest average temperature...
rouge21_gw
hey newbie: straw or hay
so you say.. whats the difference.. well .. i will...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
how to get rid of yucca FOREVER?
the previous owners must have adored them, as there...
creamgogo
spring things
replanted this as part of last years back garden renovation...
daves10z7annv
species tulips
the red is a new seedling less than an in. across.
daves10z7annv
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™