Raised Bed water timing/spreading drip irrigation problem

hykaiaxgunApril 26, 2012

I have a problem this year with my drip system not spreading water but just running down and out of the beds. I have 4x8 beds with (4) 1/2GPH 6" emitters running down the middle of each square (SFG). All emitters are dripping fine. This is my second season with it and last year I did not have this problem. I posted this question before stating that the only difference this year is lack of rain and snow and the beds are much dryer starting out and was told that this could be the reason. I have soaked the beds by hand and it has rained but it has not helped much. Doing more research, I have come to realize that I water my beds way too much as it is. I have been watering 2xday for an hour and if they only need 1/2G per week, I should only be watering 2xweek for 15minutes. Huge difference. My main concern is that if I water only 2xweek for 15 minutes I will never get them soaked enough to combat this "lack of spreading" problem. Do I need to just soak them by hand every day until they are saturated and then do the 2x week for 15 minutes? Any advice on this would be appreciated. I know I should be considering the individual plant needs too, but I am a newbie and so not there yet!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

gun,

I don't know your water flow rate or pressure of your system but you might try putting a second drip line in with equal spacing to solve your problem. Water will have less distance to travel in the same time. This would probably be better for root growth distance anyway. This would divide your flow rate between the two line and increase pressure loss for two line instead of one. JMHO Aloha

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Rain barrel with gutters that drain to sewer - can't alter gutters
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has advice for how to...
astralsled
Homemade rain barrel: you think BBQ sauce residue will hurt plants?
I bought a food grade barrel to convert into a rain...
monsteraston
Help with tricky (at least for me) water access
Hi, I have an issue that I'll be having to deal with...
Bob.Jackson
Fertigation help
ok well not new to gardening or growing things as i...
bigpuddin43
My sprinkler system station stopped working
Hello! I have a problem with my sprinkler system. One...
holia123
Sponsored Products
Wooden Dog Toddler Bed Night Light for Reading
ParrotUncle
Standard 600TC Pillowcase - WHITE/NAVY
$113.00 | Horchow
Fatboy Doggielounge Marimekko Unikko - DSM-UNIBLK
$139.00 | Hayneedle
Eastman California King Headboard
$999.00 | Horchow
Serena & Lily Fouta Stripe Sheet Set
Serena & Lily