Cutting back Columbine

happygardener_2006June 14, 2011

Have had great large columbines for years and never did anything to them after blooming except to harvest seed.

Started a woodland garden 3 years ago with lots of columbine. They are huge and crowding out other plants.

Can I cut them back, if so how far. I love them and don't want to lose them. Have transplanted some still in bloom, but they are so big I'm afraid of injuring the taproot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hepatica_z7

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but many gardeners cut them back after bloom, nearly to the ground. They send up fresh leaves that usually look better than the weather beaten ones from the winter. That clump is more compact too, so maybe your other plants will have more light. Sounds beautiful: a woodland garden with lots of huge columbines!

Hepatica

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 6:37PM
ditas

i don't think you'll ever really get rid of them. I keep them around as they provide the colors & like Faerie ballerinas decorate the surround while waiting for the flashy bloomers to put on their show!

I do cut most of them severely back after blooms are winding down ~ some to the ground to send back their lovely foliage, that I love, around where I allow them! Dead heading can be tedious!

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 9:51PM
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

I don't hesitate to cut mine back to the ground. Within a couple of weeks they have regrown with fresh new foliage. (I'm guessing that in zone 5 they are a dieback plant in the winter as they are in zone 4.)

Bookmark   June 14, 2011 at 9:57PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Believe me, they'll come back next year. I plan to cut mine back next week. I've just started gathering the seeds two days ago. There's one variety that I can't find the seeds..clementine variety.

Bookmark   June 15, 2011 at 3:43AM
More Discussions
Potentilla question
Does anyone have experience with Potentilla fruticosa...
waynez5_ia
Perennials visited by a variety of insects, or unusual insects
Do you have particular perennials that seem to attract...
WoodsTea 6a MO
E-mail from GW?
Did anyone else get an e-mail that was supposedly generated...
mxk3
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™