Sprinkler heads that produce large drops instead of fine spray?

roselee z8b S.W. TexasApril 14, 2011

Is there a type or named brand of sprinkler head for an automatic sprinkler system that will produce large drops over a small area rather than a fine spray? The large rotating heads for the lawn do fine, but the smaller ones for the flower beds waste a lot of water because the heads produce such a fine spray about half or more of the water goes up in a fine mist and evaporates in this dry climate even if run only in the wee hours of the morning.

Thanks for any advice that can be offered!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


See links to special types of stationary deflection-plate heads that control droplet size and throw larger droplets:


Moss company again but 3rd party source for description:


Hope this helps you in the direction of what you are searching for. Let us know how it all turns out. JMHO Aloha

    Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 6:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Thank you so much. I've been out of town, but now that I'm back I'll check it and let you know.

    Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 8:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

It seems the heads in the link provided are for systems with low water pressure. My problem is the opposite. I have a lot of water pressure which probably promotes the very fine spray, especially if the heads are adjusted so they cover a small area without extending their reach to wet the sidewalks and street.

    Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 9:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


yes, you would have to reduce pressure to optimum which is 15 psi. You would have to step your pressure down and match pressure and flow rate to the heads in the flower beds. It is not that difficult. Several in-line pressure reducers would do the trick. These deflection-plate type of heads are also affected by very windy conditions. Why not go drip tape? That is the best system to counter windy conditions. The drip type also would require reducing the water system pressure for the flower beds only 15 to 25 psi. What is your current water pressure and flow rate per zone? Aloha

    Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 11:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You may want to consider using shrub sprinklers. They provide lower to the ground water spray.

    Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 6:33PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Sprinkler to Soaker Hose/Drip System
My project to convert an existing sprinkler zone to...
Irrigation upgrade - who to call?
My property has an old irrigation system. It works...
cakbu z9 CA
Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture Sensor
I'm looking to connect a Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture...
metal inlets for anti-siphon valve manifold
Hi, I'm installing a new sprinkler system and I read...
Help identity sprinkler valve
We bought a house last year that has one zone that...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™