re Santa Rosa Gardens

ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7aJune 22, 2014

I received a rudbeckia hirta cherry brand which turned out to be a maroon/brown color. And altho it has been in the ground for about a month, and well-cared for, it is not doing very well.

I wrote the company to let them know. If they offer me a refund, or exchange, I'll accept, altho I didn't ask for either.

I know mostly people have good experience with this company.

It's disappointing, esp. bec. last year this was my new and favorite addition to my garden. (last year's did not survive the winter.)
oh well... next year I shall sow the seed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I hope you report back once you receive a reply from SRG. It's a bit premature to post a negative report on your interaction with a company before you even know how they respond to your complaint. I actually think it's unfair that these companies are not allowed to advertise here, yet posters are free to say anything they please. Fortunately, most posters are very supportive and forgiving.

Martha
(I am in no way connected to any commercial plant related organization)

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 9:28AM
Nevermore44 - 6a

Rud 'cherry brandy' is more on the brown side vs the marketing photo which shows a strong red. I seeded some back when they came our and have collected seed each year since... And I will say that they do sit and do nothing for a while once I plant the seedlings out... Much more then other ruds I have seeded.

Is yours just sitting or actually going down hill.

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 10:04AM
ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a

Mine is just sitting.
The ones I had last year that didn't survive the winter (bought the plants at a nursery) did look like the picture. They were red, not maroon. I have a picture of them if I knew how to post it here.
I did *not* post a negative comment on the company. I said that I was disappointed with my purchase. There is a difference. Take a breath, Martha.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 7:11AM
tepelus(6a SW MI)

I heard back when this plant first came out that they had quite the variance in color. Some people experienced that nice red color they are advertised to have, others got a maroon to nearly brown color. They were plants both bought and grown from seed. I believe these are grown basically like annuals or biennials. They are not long-lived.

Karen

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 7:33AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Given my knowledge of most wild rudbeckia's (both variability and longevity), it's all quite true and there's not much you can do about it, other than don't propagate from seed.
I'm always amazed how variable even very few (like 100) rudbeckia hirta wild occuring plants, really are. And pretty much the only survivors from year to year are those that are in biennial form and didn't flower this year.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 8:08AM
gardenweed_z6a

Rudbeckia hirta/black-eyed Susan 'Cherry Brandy' is an annual, not a perennial as many believe. The link below takes you to Swallowtail Garden Seeds' website photo of 'Cherry Brandy' but they sell the seeds as annuals. It's true that R. hirta is a rampant self-seeder but the plants are actually annuals and live for a single season.

I checked Santa Rosa Gardens website and 'Cherry Brandy' is clearly noted as an annual.

Here's the link I copied and pasted: http://www.santarosagardens.com/Rudbeckia-hirta-Cherry-Brandy-p/rud-che.htm

ellenr - sorry you're disappointed with the performance/color/longevity of your Cherry Brandy rudbeckia. I've noticed & been disappointed to find there are short-lived perennials gone missing from my beds after a season or two.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swallowtail Garden Seeds

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 9:17AM
More Discussions
campanula confusion!
I have a question, everyone! I've always eyed campanulas...
diggerdee zone 6 CT
Troubles with new Campanula Carpatica (Blue Clips)
I will start by saying that I am a pretty new gardener....
lovelyother1
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Will the Epimediums make it?
The epimediums ( I have about 20 different varieties)...
laceyvail
When is the best time to divide Siberian iris?
I live in SW PA, and last year I noticed that my SIberian...
vlk20
Sponsored Products
Garnet Garden Rug 7'9" x 9'9" - RED
$1,729.00 | Horchow
Garden Party Shower Curtain
$69.99 | Dot & Bo
Masquerade 149 Pendant by Varaluz
$749.00 | Lumens
Savannah Gardens Tablecloth 108" Round
$185.90 | Horchow
Frog Welcome Garden Statue - 332
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Paws & Claws Waterproof and Tear Proof Oxford Hammock Style Car Seat Cover - 59-
$21.89 | Hayneedle
Campania International Whimper Garden Statue - S-425-AL
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Handmade Children's Garden New Zealand Wool Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™