frequency and duration of drip irrigation

joannaqcw(NY 4/5)April 26, 2008

I've just installed a T-tape 8" on-center high-flow drip irrigation system in 4 of my vegetable beds (onions, potatoes, beans, asparagus) . I'm new to drip irrigation and am trying to figure out how frequently to water, and for how long. I've read that one of the benefits of drip irrigation is the ability to keep soil constantly moist instead of having it soak and dry out--that seems to argue in favor of brief and frequent irrigation. On the other hand, I'd like the bed to be somewhat uniformly moist, and while each emitter is supposed to wet a 12" circle it takes a while for the moisture to visibly spread that far. How to other drip irrigators figure out how often and how long to water?

Thanks,

Joanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

joannaqcw, the greatest advantage of a drip irrigation system is that it puts the water where it will be best used - at or near the roots of the plant. Ideally, the emitters will coincide with the spacing of the plant. As the root system grows larger, more water will be needed and this is accommodated by the length of time that the system is allowed to operate. One can determine this by checking the wet patch of soil around each plant. At first only a small area needs to be kept wet but as the roots grow out, a larger wet area would be needed. In a perfect state of affairs, at maturity, the roots of all the plants will occupy all the area (if not the volume) of the planted bed and the irrigation will be operated at its longest duration (even full time). All the listed plants will need adequate water for establishment but as time goes on, I imgine that the asparagus and beans will need more water than the onions and potatoes.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 6:17AM
More Discussions
My sprinkler system station stopped working
Hello! I have a problem with my sprinkler system. One...
holia123
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
lauriec
Best well pump for drip hose irrigation
I am trying to find some information on selecting a...
srbasile
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
mshepherd2
Rain barrel with gutters that drain to sewer - can't alter gutters
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has advice for how to...
astralsled
Sponsored Products
Alabaster Rocks! 21-Inch 3000 Lumen LED Semi-Flush Mount Pendant with Pair Cylin
$710.00 | Bellacor
Clouds 18-Inch 3000 Lumen LED Semi-Flush Mount with Tapered Clips
$710.00 | Bellacor
Woodstock 25 Inch Mozart Medium Wind Chime - MGM
$34.00 | Hayneedle
Alabaster Rocks! Tapered Clips 14-Inch Two-Light Brushed Nickel 2000 Lumen LED S
$510.00 | Bellacor
Genie SilentMax 1200 3/4 HP Belt Drive Garage Door Opener - 37281V
$197.46 | Hayneedle
My WebRC Porsche Cayenne Turbo Remote Control - G110010R
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Health Mark Vertical Vibe Pro 1000 Vibration Trainer - VF86200
Hayneedle
Clouds 18-Inch 3000 Lumen LED Semi-Flush Mount with U-Clips
$710.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™