Convert In Ground to something more efficient

jmcnyc(6)April 14, 2014

I have a flower bed that has a spray head sprinkler in the corner. The sprinkler does not do a very good job of getting water where I need it. The bed is about 12 ft x 5ft. I was looking at replacing the spray head with a system of tubes in the garden so I get a better placement of the water. Anyone have experience in converting a spray head to more of the tube based system? Can I simply connect a tube to the in ground piping and let the in ground sprinkler timer set up the schedule? Should I be concerned about pressure? Any sources would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whitecap

Might be less hassle to remove the sprinkler from the riser, and replace it with a connection for a 25' soaker hose. You would need a $5.00 pressure regulator, to attach to the hose.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 12:11PM
jmcnyc(6)

Thats what I was thinking - would I need a filter as well - I see RainBird has a drip converter kit
http://www.rainbird.com/homeowner/products/drip/DripConversionKit-Manifold.htm

But I think a soaker hose would work as well - just need to leave it run for a decent amount of time.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 12:46PM
whitecap

I was in Home Depot today, and noticed a doohickey that screws directly to a sprinkler riser. It had 6 nipples for attaching 1/4" poly lines, with a turnscrew to regulate the flow from each line. You would have to somehow incorporate both a filter and regulator, of course. These things never seem to live up to our expectations, which is why I use only soaker hoses. I haven't conducted any experiments, but I suspect they will disperse water more quickly than a drip system, and they don't require a filter. Check the soaker hose thread below, for the type I use.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 2:57PM
More Discussions
First experience with irrigation system
Our builder installed, as a part of the "package",...
vlk20
Correct irrigation design for perennial/shrub border
I've finally bitten the bullet and had a swimming pool...
skoprow
Rain barrel with gutters that drain to sewer - can't alter gutters
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has advice for how to...
astralsled
Need Suggestion about Iriigation System Pots
Have you heard of the eco grow pots or the irrigation...
Peter Jones
Irritrol RD900 Solenoid Chatter
Hi, I am trying to diagnose a problem with my sprinkler...
fullerlee
Sponsored Products
Christopher Knight Home Multi-flex Natural Wood Futon Frame with Innerspring Mat
Overstock.com
Oasis White Torch Wall Sconce by Oggetti Luce
$270.00 | Lumens
Cherry Blossoms Ava 6-Light Nickel Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Area Rug: Weston Lifestyle Collection Ivory Black 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
VIGO 48-inch Frameless Shower Door 3/8" Clear/Chrome Hardware with White Base -
Modern Bathroom
WAC Lighting | Lolli dwelLED Pendant Light
$178.50 | YLighting
Furniture of America Madrid Fabric Loveseat with Nailhead Trim - Pewter Multicol
Hayneedle
Bayside Black Energy Star Fluorescent Outdoor Bulkhead Wall/Ceiling Fixture
$74.50 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™