Loving my new DA's

harmonypMay 20, 2012

Amongst my mass of HTs, Floribundas and Grandifloras, are now 5 David Austins. Mary Rose is now 2 years old, but Young Lycidas, Princess Alexandra of Kent, Crown Princess Margareta and Teasing Georgia are new bareroots as of April. I knew I had to have some DAs in the garden, but didn't have any idea of how stunning they were as I had never seen good specimens in person.

Have now had the first blooms on PAOK, CPM and YL. The blooms on each are just "perfect". They are so amazingly beautiful. I put YL in a bouquet of other highly fragrant roses and it beat all of them. Can't wait for TG to start to bloom. I'm in heaven.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Teasing Georgia is on of my favorites!! I don't know if he does well in California but my Abraham Darby is the one that amazes me all the time. How such many petals on such a big bloom fit into such little buds I do not know!
I also have Mary rose and it is a reliable rose for sure. I had to cut mine down severely and it bounced right back and is ready to put on a show. Love them!!!

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 2:10PM
caldonbeck(UK (8))

Lycidas, PAK, CPM and TG, you have just named four of my favourite roses lol. All have a formal flower except lycidas but that is huge so can be forgiven. I honestly can't grow HTs now I have had Austins, they don't seem to have the same character somehow.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 4:34PM
ken-n.ga.mts(7a/7b)

I grow a little bit of everything in my 60ish rose garden. DA's have a good showing in the garden. 10 Austin's with 2 or 3 more next year. I enjoy them as much, if not more then anything I grow.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 10:24AM
peachymomo(Ca 8)

I only have a couple of Austins but I love them - Molineux is the most floriferous rose in my garden and Abraham Darby is the most fragrant. I have a long list of others that I want to add to my garden once I have the room - Lady of Shallot tops the list, along with several other oranges and yellows that I cannot live without. Unfortunately I have so many roses in pots right now I've vowed to not buy any more until I have planted the ones in the pot ghetto and prepared the ground for more. Every year I vow to not buy plants unless I have a spot for them ready in the garden, and every year I break it.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 10:58AM
flaurabunda(6a, Central IL)

Yes--I plopped a Jude amongst the other modern roses and it's fabulous for its unique blooms and scent. I don't know why I shied away from them for so long!

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 11:23AM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

I just picked up a Jubilee Celebration, half price too due to overstock, and of the Austins I have now I like this one the best. I only have a few, but I love the colors and shapes.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Old Rose Seminar, May 2, 2015 San Juan Bautista, CA
By tomorrow, I hope to have this up on the Heritage...
jerijen
What's wrong with my rose bush?
Can anyone please shed some light on what's wrong with...
alyong
Roses that you miss
I have a few roses I have lost over the last 10 years....
kingcobbtx9b
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Awesome Climber
This is a very popular spot to take photos in the San...
FriendsSJRoseGarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™