Zone only comes on manually

winterwolfes(7a NJ)April 25, 2013

I have a 4 zone set up. This year Zone 2 would not turn out. Turns out that it was a bad wire. Luckily there was a spare wire run to the box so swapping it out was simple. The problem though was once I got zone 2 working, zone 3 went on the fritz. It is having the same symptoms that zone 2 had. The zone will not turn on. I have Toro 264 series valves. If I open the bleed screw, the zone comes on. Then when I close the screw, the zone stays on. But the problem is that it won't shut off. I swapped the selonoid with one of the other working zones and that did not fix it. I also swapped wires and it didn't work. Today, I took the valve apart and cleaned it really well. I also bought a new diaphram and installed it, still the valve will not turn on unless I open the bleed screw. And when I do that, it will not turn off once I close it. Is there something else I am missing here?? Any one have any other suggestions. Between these 2 zones, I have been fighting this system every day after work this week!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

ww,

Try turning on your zone by turning the solenoid counterclockwise until the water comes on without turn on the bleed screw. Turn the solenoid only enough to start the irrigation. To shut off turn the solenoid clockwise just enough to stop the water. Do not over tighten. Let us know what happens. Aloha

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 10:16PM
winterwolfes(7a NJ)

lehua - Thanks for responding! My valve (Toro 264) does not have a screw in solenoid. It has two screws on either side of it and those screw down into holes on either side of the valve. But anyway, I did what you suggested. I loosened those screws just until water started moving. It shot out from under the solenoid and also started coming out the sprinklers. I then tightened the screws and after about 1 minute, the zone shut down again.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 9:58AM
winterwolfes(7a NJ)

lehua - I figured it out. The exhaust port was blocked up. A grain of sand must have got in there. I started out last week knowing nothing about sprinkler valves. I am now an expert. hahaha.

So thanks for your time. Mission accomplished!

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
lauriec
Drip Line Brand Recommendation
It's time to replace my decade-old drip lines. What...
raymondo17
Challenge to Irrigate a New Garden Area
I'm putting up a deer fence to enclose an 95'x35' area....
redsun9
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
mshepherd2
Help with tricky (at least for me) water access
Hi, I have an issue that I'll be having to deal with...
Bob.Jackson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™