'Super Dragon' Shantung maple

lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)March 24, 2012

This a new one that I received over the winter. The color is supposed to stay yellowish, lime-green color throughout the year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Nice! Keep pics coming throughout the year! Most yellows tend to burn, I can't a imagine an A. truncatum would.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 9:22PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Apparently, this one doesn't burn in the sun according to Metro Maples where I got a small test plant to try out to see how mine does in alkaline soil compared to his in slightly acidic sandy soil. I had been eyeing on this one for two or three years asking when it'd be available. Lol. It is being patented and should be locally available by fall or next year. I think it is unique enough to be picked up by large wholesale growers soon to be sold everywhere in like 10 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Super Dragon'

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 9:38PM
northtexas

These super dragons are very cool! Please keep us posted this spring and summer with pictures. What color do they turn in the fall?

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 10:05PM

Wes,

According to MM website, it says a mixture of orange, red and yellow. Sadly about a foot of trunk got snapped off by strong wind the other day before the rain. It looked like it was partially snapped off probably by my dog and my mom's dog when they were playing around in the backyard a few weeks ago. Oh well. Gotta put up temporary fence around it when they come to visit soon!

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 10:12PM
northtexas

Yikes! Those dogs must play hard.

My baby dragon stays pretty droopy since I planted it a few weeks ago. I can't figure out if that is its natural habitor if something else is going on. How does yours do?

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 9:26AM

I think Baby Dragon is supposed to stay weepy or bush like form.

I think a wild rabbit or whatever it was was in the backyard that munched on my Baby Dragon over the winter. The branches were a lot shorter plus snapped 8 inches of central leader off... It's now a little bushy plant!

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 9:43AM
arktrees(6b NW Arkansas)

That's REAL nice Lou. You know you have set yourself to having to post pictures over and over again now don't you? ;-) I am lucky in that I can have most southern plants, and most northern plants, but that does not change the need for tough and beautiful plants to be added to the pallet. IMHO, MM should look for a Shantung with bigger showier flowers in the spring as well. If he could find a mutant with more crabapple size flowers (almost certain to occur BTW. Shantung is the only maple I know of that has a flower where the petals are so visible, an showy obviously to attract insects. Make them more showy, yellow flowers in early spring, combined with the toughness, then you likely have a winner.

Arktrees

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Beech tree in NJ
I am in the process of re-foresting my backyard with...
johniferous
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
Do the flowering pears display their show before spring?
When exactly do the callery's flower? Right now in...
tlbean2004
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™