What other names might one call a Sprinkler Guard?

bbbbosox(z7 GA)April 23, 2006


I hope this forum is the right one. If not, my apologies and please feel free to direct me to the right one.

What I'm looking for is a round green item with a hole in it that surrounds a sprinkler. It adds some additional protection to pop-up sprinklers, such as a large rain-bird type, and provides a small buffer around the sprinkler where grass might not grow. I hope I've described it in good enough detail. I've only seen them advertised in one mail-order publication, i.e, Pickett Fence, but would like to find other potential sources. The big box stores, like HD and Lowes, don't seem to carry them. "Sprinkler Guard" may be a trade-mark name, but perhaps it is known by other names. If you know of any other names or where you've already been able to purchase them, please let me know.

I've done a search on the web using "Sprinkler Guard", but the preponderance of query finds seem to deal with wire type guards that cover indoor fire sprinklers.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

We utilize concrete donuts on all heads installed adjacent to driveways and streets to protect them from vehicle traffic. They help stabilize the heads and gives them a chance against cars. The donuts are available locally here in the Houston area from wholesale irrigation suppliers and come in different sizes for different type heads. I've seen plastic "protectors" sold at the big box stores, but they are essentially worthless and provide no protection.

All Wet
Texas Licensed Irrigator #1897 since 1984

    Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 9:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bbbbosox(z7 GA)

All Wet,

Thanks for your response; really do appreciate it. I can definitely see their use along driveways. I have a long one that has subtle curves in it and I have seen time and time again where friends, Fed-Ex, UPS, et al, have had a tough time backing up ... many times going over the edges onto the lawn areas ... not bad, but I cringe as I think about the sprinklers. To be fair to my builder, he did ask us "Are you sure you want a driveway with subtle curves?". Well, my wife and I too like the look, but I now know what the builder was probably thinking. LOL! Surprising though, none of those sprinklers got mashed. Just lucky I guess!

I haven't been able to find anything at our local big box stores, meaning HD and/or Lowes. I called a few local plumbing/piping supply places, i.e., Apex (now owned by HD), but that turned out to be a "no-go" as well. LOL! While I described the item in reasonable detail (so I think), none of them carried them ... now I can "talk the talk" ... "concrete donuts" so I can be more specific in my searches and/or discussions with folks on the phone.

Again, thanks so very much.


    Bookmark   April 25, 2006 at 9:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Orbitonline.com has two. Plastic. Called Sprinkler Guard Donut and Sprinkler Spray Guard.
Another unique one is at Sprinklerbuddy.com

    Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 4:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Generally, they are called spray guards or donuts. You can find some on Amazon and possibly eBay.

Here is a link that might be useful: spray guards

    Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 1:10PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Homemade rain barrel: you think BBQ sauce residue will hurt plants?
I bought a food grade barrel to convert into a rain...
Help with tricky (at least for me) water access
Hi, I have an issue that I'll be having to deal with...
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
roots in pipe
Hi, I am new to this forum. I live in Idaho and we...
sprinkler selection question
I'm doing some sprinkler maintenance and replacement...
Sponsored Products
Medium Butterfly Bungalow
$12.99 | zulily
Personalized Guest Towels
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Authentic Models Black Stateroom End Table
Classic Hostess
Home Decorators Area Rug: Lagoon Rust 3' x 5'
$69.99 | Home Depot
Eastwood Sectional - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
Bastrop Side Table - WHITE
$589.00 | Horchow
Peri Chrome One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Vanilla Matte Glass
$166.50 | Bellacor
Awntech NEVADA 10 ft. Retractable Window/Entry Awning - NV22-10B
$369.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™