Mercury Rising Coreopsis is AWESOME!

funnthsun z7A - Southern VAJune 14, 2013

This is my first year with Mercury Rising and it has amazed me already! It was a tiny plant when I got it. It's been in the ground for just a couple of months, it has grown like crazy in that time and the blooms are to die for! This pic doesn't even do the color justice, but it is still beautiful and not even in peak bloom yet. Wow, just wow.

By the way, Santa Rosa has these right now for 2.99 each, which is ridiculously cheap for such a new cultivar. I bought 3 more when I saw that price. No idea where I'm going to put them, but with these results, I will find a spot!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rouge21_gw(5)

I did have this on my "to buy list" but haven't got around to getting it.

Do you think it will be a flopper??

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 9:43AM
funnthsun z7A - Southern VA

Hard to say at this point, but it doesn't seem to be showing those tendencies, despite the beating rain that it's gotten over the past week or so. It does "spread" a bit, not the roots, but the flowers, as you can see like to reach out. Not sure if you can tell from the pic, but there is quite a few buds that haven't opened in the center, so that kind of gives it the spreading look, which will probably go away once those open, but it still is a reacher. The color of the blooms are very similar in color to the heart attack dianthus, I know you have some of those, rouge. That bright yellow center totally changes the look, though. It makes that color really pop!

This post was edited by funnthsun on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 9:56

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 9:54AM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Glad to hear you like it- I ordered some for the nursery the other day. I am curious to know how folks in a low zone fare with it in terms of hardiness...
CMK

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 2:31PM
trovesoftrilliums(5)

Lovely picture. Thanks for posting.

Any input from people on other coreopsis varieties? Santa rosa gardens still has a few different types available.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 7:27PM

I bought Cosmic Eye at the same time that I bought Mercury Rising. To say that this one is vigorous is an understatement. The tag says 15" tall, although I did notice that Santa Rosa says 20" on this one. Well, mine is currently 30" tall! I had to move it further back in the border, it was blocking the Mercury Rising, which was supposed to be the tallest of the two. It is just now breaking its first bloom, but it is full of them. Seems to be a great one as well.

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 11:08PM
trovesoftrilliums(5)

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to my order--should be shipped week after next though. They said last week and the next week were all booked up with shipping.

I bought 3 coreopsis and several heuchera.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 12:44AM
rouge21_gw(5)

'funn', I really like my "Cosmic Eye". All three plants have returned for a 3 season which is a good sign although I think all 3 are behind in terms of development. They can grow quite large but if needed they can be trimmed quite successfully.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 6:50AM

rouge, Cosmic Eye looks like a great performer. Based on it's growth this year, I'm looking forward to it swallowing my entire border next year! Should be beautiful!

An aside, it looks like Mercury Rising is sold out now at Santa Rosa. 30 plants left of Cosmic Eye. At that price, I don't doubt it!

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 9:43AM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Planting three of these tonight, plus one of the newer 'Red Satin' to compare.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 1:59PM

Interesting, hadn't heard of Red Satin before. I see it's a 2013 intro. You will have to report back and let us know how it does!

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 8:02PM
boday

An update on Coreopsis 'Mercury Rising'. Yes, the flowers are pretty. Yes, it sprawls. Yes, it blooms contiously and buds aplenty, going forward.

The big question - will it survive the winter.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 5:17PM
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b

It is very pretty!

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 9:36PM
a2zmom(6a - nj)

I planted two of these myself this year and it is blooming a lot. However, the flowers seem to be more purple than red at this point. Is anyone else seeing this?

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 11:33PM
boday

I like it very much. And this is the first year. The sprawl does not detract from the vigor of the plants. My only concern is over winter.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 1:30PM
boday

An update on 'Mercury Rising'. The sprawl turned into dense plants. At present, I didn't deadhead over the last few weeks but there are buds aplenty. Prior to that with some deadheading, it bloomed continuously for two months. Overall, an excellent plant, as advertised. Even if there were overwintering issues, I would buy it again.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 4:27PM
rouge21_gw(5)

Luv seeing updates on plants. Thanks boday.

I felt the same way about coreopsis "Cosmic Eye" ie basically treating it as an annual if necessary but two of these plants have survived two winters for me.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
pulsatillas
anemones was a better name
daves10z7annv
Does Anyone Do Mixed Perennial Containers For The Deck/Patio?
As opposed to annuals? I've been seeing some pretty...
catkinZ8a
Elk in Dogs for mrtulin
The link is in here scroll down and have fun. Some...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Trillium 2015
This thread is for anyone who wants to post pics of...
gardenprincethenetherlandsZ7/8
Name this flowering plant please.
This plant did not die this winter, even tho we've...
jand3737
Sponsored Products
Artemide | Mercury Suspension Light
YLighting
Antler Hill Mercury Glass Table Lamp
Overstock.com
Glass Vase Black Linen Shade Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Vizcaya Mercury Toothbrush Holder
Grandin Road
Hudson Valley Mercury Modern Contempo Bath Vanity Light
1800Lighting