drip line. . . connecting/installing

babera(5a (Montana))April 17, 2014

Hello. . . we moved into my husbands Grandparents home 2 years ago. Last year was the first growing season. We have underground sprinklers but there were no flower beds, just a few trees and a nice lawn. I learned the hard way what not to plant in front of the sprinkler head. . . that's a whole 'nother story. . . one of the flower beds I put in is behind a sprinkler and due to several issues the sprinkler cannot cover that part of the bed. So I had a friend come help me put in a drip/bubble line, which is connected to the UG sprinkler line. What he did was cut the 1/4" tubing(I think that's the diameter) and put a nipple type thing in it. The *thing* kinda looks like a top. One end is smooth and the other has a flange/ridge on it. I never thought twice abut the installation, Everything seemed to be doing ok, but it was just shrubs and spring bulbs. So, this year I copied what he did and added more nipple things so I can have more plants. Fast forward a few weeks. . . I don't think the nipple things are what I need. . I think they may be connectors ? ? ? I'm not sure, that's why Im asking. . . if they are what I need I'm good. . . if not what do I need and how do I go about it now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silverdraggon(5)

I love to help out with irrigation, but I am having a hard time understanding what you are getting at. In irrigation, a nipple usually refers to a piece of pipe with male thread on both ends. Do you have a picture of what you are trying to do?

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 11:47PM
babera(5a (Montana))

Oh good. . . I"ll get a picture tomorrow. . . I knew I used the wrong words. . .

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 1:08AM
babera(5a (Montana))

hmmmmmmm. . . that didn't work. . . photo bucket has changed since I used it last. . .let me try that again. . .

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 11:49AM
babera(5a (Montana))

try this one. . .

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 12:19PM
babera(5a (Montana))

one more

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 12:20PM
babera(5a (Montana))

here's the *nipple/bubble (what is the correct name for this thing?). I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get slammed for many things about this post. . . please go easy on me. . .

This post was edited by babera on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 15:03

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 12:21PM
silverdraggon(5)

I'm actually not familiar with this exact brand, but it looks like a drip emitter to me... probably an inline drip emitter based on how it's positioned on the tubeing. ....if water drips out of it when the zone is on, its an inline drip emitter. Don't worry about getting slammed lol! I've installed irrigation systems for the last 5 years and still don't always know the proper names for parts.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 6:37PM
silverdraggon(5)

I'm actually not familiar with this exact brand, but it looks like a drip emitter to me... probably an inline drip emitter based on how it's positioned on the tubeing. ....if water drips out of it when the zone is on, its an inline drip emitter. Don't worry about getting slammed lol! I've installed irrigation systems for the last 5 years and still don't always know the proper names for parts.

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 6:38PM
babera(5a (Montana))

well. . . like I said I didn't check it last summer after my buddy added them. Since the 4 shrubs that were being feed water by them were doing good I didn't think to check them. However I did do some above ground watering in the same bed. I haven't turned on my sprinkler system yet this year so I don't know if they will work or not.

After doing some research and before I posted my question here I saw a similar setup and they used the same type thing as this (pictured above) but their application was to connect tubing together. . . so I figured I may have used the wrong thing. . . I guess I will find out when I start up the sprinklers. Maybe come May. . .LOL. . . I'm kinda leary this year, as we know ma nature can be somewhat stubborn. . . thanks for the input Silverdraggon. . .

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 7:10PM
dmarin(Z9 NorCal)

Ya, those are drippers. I've never seen them with hose on both ends though. That may slow the drop down, somewhat. I'd run the hose to the plant, and then use a dripper on the end.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 11:42PM
More Discussions
Irritrol RD900 Solenoid Chatter
Hi, I am trying to diagnose a problem with my sprinkler...
fullerlee
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
lauriec
Correct irrigation design for perennial/shrub border
I've finally bitten the bullet and had a swimming pool...
skoprow
Discrepancy in Drip Line Water Flow
Over the weekend I installed some drip line in my garden....
raymondo17
Fixing Scary Sprinklers to Auto.
My parents once hooked up auto-matic sprinklers, then...
Matthew Spencer
Sponsored Products
Illumine Posts 3-Light Post Lantern Bark and Gold Finish Hammered Glass
Home Depot
Progress Lighting Lighting Transformers White Track Accessory 12-volt Pendant
$91.89 | Home Depot
Sierra Outdoor Sofa with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Sample - Metallic Sidewinder 3x12 1/3 Piece-sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Arteriors Home - McElroy Lamp - 42411-618
Great Furniture Deal