Moldy fruit and breads okay for compost bin?

greengardener07May 13, 2008

Are these okay to add to the bin? Won't the mold spread through out the bin and make the whole pile useless?

I have one of those Earth Machines (looks like a little Darth Vader head).

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jmsimpson9(CA 8/9)

It will be fine. Your compost pile has mold in it already and it all breaks down into a happy medium.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 1:25PM
bpgreen(5UT)

Mold is part of the decomposition process, so adding something moldy doesn't hurt a bit.

If you decide to add bread, don't tell annpat. She doesn't like anything that gets soggy. If she asks if you added any bread, deny it vehemently.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 1:29PM
greengardener07

Thanks for both of your quick responses!

I usually leave the bread for the birds once it gets stale, but I don't want to give them moldy bread. Good to know that you can add it to the pile.

Good point about the compost pile and the mold helping it breakdown. I did not think of that.

Ahhhh, the circle of life is a wonderful thing!

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 1:38PM
annpatt

Mold in the compost pile is fine.
Bread? No.
There are certain standards that every composter should adhere to, imho, one of them being: Do Not Make Me Ill.

greengardener, say I was looking in here one day and you posted something about the huge hunk of white sog that was sitting on top of your compost pile and it made me sick? How would that make you feel? Really bad, I bet. And I bet if you think about it, you'd feel ill, too. You know those people who eat 78 hot dogs in under a minute? Have you seen them dunk the whole darn hotdog in a glass of water---bun! and all??? No, of course you haven't seen that. You turned away, like anyone would. But you can imagine it, right? The thick paste that was bun, now sog, dripping off the contestants' chins? If I weren't trying to spare you repeating the experience, I wouldn't put myself through this right now. Anyway, I think I've made my point, and I hope I haven't disgusted people imagining the pile that others might have you construct.

And bpgreen, I can feel the kinship; I know you're no donut dunker.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bread Planarian---

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 6:37PM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

I could throw up when my Mother (83 y/o) dunks toast or donuts in her coffee. Eeeeeeewwwww! But then, I think it's pretty disgusting when she puts milk in that coffee, too. What a way to ruin a perfectly good cup of coffee.

Sorry, I'm kind of off topic here.

Karen

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 7:24PM
cynthia_h

Go ahead and put these materials into the compost! What *else* would you (I) do with moldy fruits, veg's, bread? I've been doing it for years and always consider it a "snack" for whatever microbes/critters are in the compost bin.

Cynthia H.
El Cerrito, CA

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 7:50PM
annpatt

Oh no, you're not, Karen.
Precisely!
See, gg07? There are people who will want to "throw up" when they see your pile with the swollen, sodden, toast on top.

Bookmark   May 13, 2008 at 7:53PM
nitasher(central Alberta)

annpat - Usually I totally enjoy reading your posts, but when you discribe the eating of the hotdog buns dipped in water...I think it was water for I could only skim your post because of the heebie jeebies that began in my spine. Detailed reading would have sent my gag reflex into over drive.

Although, I do still compost bread.

Anita

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 10:17AM
nohandle(6a swON)

What, no bird lovers to tell greengardener not to feed the bread to the birds?

Off topic, I know, but in a nutshell (no pun intended) bread has very low and imbalanced nutritional value and too much salt for birds.

With that said, I compost bread too...and dip toast into my tea.

Hope I haven't made any enemies.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 10:29AM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

I like to put lots of crackers in my chili. ;-)

(I stopped feeding bread to the birds because I have a raccoon problem and they were getting it more than birds. But I too had read about the bread not being good for the birds. So it was a good thing I had a coon problem, because it saved a few birds! I believe I am turning into one those annoying people who find the bright side of everything.)

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 10:35AM
nohandle(6a swON)

Way off topic, the only coon problems I've ever had were when camping.
One time, with two other couples, the coons were all over us at night, even chewing their way into a tent.
But on the bright side, Joepye, I got to see my first experience of coon rage when I witnessed my buddy running around naked in the moonlight chasing coons with an axe.
Needless to say he didn't get any that night ;)

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 12:37PM
greengardener07

Sounds like some people have something against wet bread in general.

The bread (multiple pieces) has been added to the compost bin. And for good measure, I added some water so it will swell up! ;-D

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 12:41PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

I've experienced camp ground coons too. The crafty devils can open a cooler and those snap top rubbermaid containers.

At my house, I like to keep a water dish outside for hte dogs,but the racoons like to use it to wash their food in... which is mainly stuff they have taken out the fridge on my back porch.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 12:41PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Moldy fruit and bread is fine to add to your compost. The mold is there because that material is starting to be digested, which is what is going to take place in your compost pile.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 12:47PM
grassman84(MA)

I used to put saltines in my chicken soup as a kid. They would get real good and gushy; all sorts of sogginess there.

And I do put bread in my compost without any issues.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 1:33PM
greengardener07

I just remembered I used to dip buttered toast (cut on an angle) in my coffee as a kid. yes, I drank coffee as a kid, I asked for it and my grandmother would give it to me. I guess that is why I am a coffee-holic.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 1:36PM
grassman84(MA)

gg07 - I used to do the same with toast, but into hot chocolate. And I remember putting saltines into the hot chocolate as well. I must have had a thing for soggy saltines!

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 4:23PM
annpatt

Oh dear lord. How did this turn into a grossoutfest! I blame greengardener.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 4:53PM
leslies(z7 No VA)

And for good measure, I added some water so it will swell up!

That was just plain mean.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 5:30PM
kqcrna(z6 SW Oh)

And we are entertaining ourselves with this stuff. What kind of pathetic group of losers are we?

Oh yeah, the kind who compost and use bread to grow mold.

Annapat, let me guess. You don't eat blue cheese do you? It's my favorite!

Karen

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 9:11PM
annpatt

no,no, Karen, you misunderstand; mold is fine. It's sog that everyone is so revolted by.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 9:21PM
jmsimpson9(CA 8/9)

It's sog that everyone is so revolted by.

Everyone?

Speak for yourself! I dont mind soggy bread in my compost heap one bit. It falls apart sooner and disappears within a turn of the pile.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 9:45PM
PaulNS(NS zone 6a)

My wife says anybody who cooks oatmeal then leaves the pot in the sink to soak should come back in his or her next life as a housefly. On the other hand she can gut a 10 lb codfish with her bare hands.

Btw, watch out - whenever there's a thread about putting bread on the pile some poor sucker always ends up sending annp a bucket of their best compost. She orchestrates it all, I don't know how.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 10:09AM
greengardener07

Some of the best foods are eaten soggy!

Personally, I enjoy dipping pretzel rods in a glass of cold soda or milk and letting is "sog up" and then eat it that way. Or chocolate chip cookies into ice cold milk.

And when you eat a really good cheeseburger just off the grill, or a nice greasy cheese steak, the bun gets that greasy softness to it. DELICIOUS!

And even if you do not enjoy the soggy food and try to avoid it, it does become soggy once you ingest it as it aborbs as the stomach acids so it can breakdown. So it is soggy, in your stomach.

Mmmmm.....

Bon Apetit'!

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 1:12PM
lilacs_of_may

One of my favorite snacks is dipping graham crackers in milk then stuffing it into my mouth before the soggy part falls off onto the table (or my shirt). And I grew up with people who sopped up excess gravy with bread. Lots of sog there.

I also toss moldy fruit and bread into the compost pile, but I think often the squirrels get it before it turns into anything not referred to in polite society.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 10:22PM
medontdo(8)

mmmm i love the graham crackers things!!! and when i'm sick its crackers and tomato soup or if the bread wasn't so soggy i'd LOVE bread and butter and tomato soup!! but when i get to make my tumbler i'm going to also toss my moldy bread!! then i will be so happy no more food in the trash!! WOO HOO!!! LOL
on the other hand sog grosses me out!! totally, i won't tell ya how many yucks!!! :'((

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 12:47AM
rosebud0416_charter_net

My Mom made milk soup when we were kids. Hot milk over buttered stale bread. Yum!!

Bookmark   May 6, 2011 at 8:33AM
steve_danielsland_com

Bread - when mixed proportionally with plenty of greens and browns - mixes up nicely. My compost pile isn't in a beauty contest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Danielsland

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 1:53AM
annpatt

WorldViewer, we don't have planaria in Maine. Mainers are fastidious in all ways---right down to how we manage our compost piles. We're a civilized people who try not to offend the sensibilities of visitors to our yard.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:54AM
annpatt

Or this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Never in Maine

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:58AM
toxcrusadr

The horror.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 10:58AM
david52_gw

Are there planaria beauty contests ?

Anywhere?

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 4:10PM
toxcrusadr

I don't know but we have a rare cave planaria in these parts. At one point they were talking about locating a minor league baseball team here and it was suggested they be called the Pink Planarians. Didn't work out. Probably best, imagine the slimy trails on the bases.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 4:20PM
annpatt

Oh! Oh! I can't! I can't! I can't think about the slimy trails! See? See why Mainers don't compost bread?!!

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:24PM
david52_gw

It would take a while to steal second.

1 Like    Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 3:52PM
sroemer1

bread has eggs and milk in it right? so I wouldn't put it in my compost.

1 Like    Bookmark   February 14, 2015 at 1:11PM
kimmq

Most edible material is compostable, even if it has eggs and milk in the original mixture. Yes, milk and eggs do have fats, as does meat, but not enough to make problems for the bacteria that will be digesting that material.

kimmq is kimmsr

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 3:11AM
drmbear

Heck yeah I'd dump things with eggs and milk in it to my compost pile - I actually put all my egg shells in there. Considering calcium is a necessary part of reducing the possibility of blossom end rot for the tomatoes and peppers I grow, I particularly like adding egg shells! Even meats CAN be composted, but we tend not to like doing that because of its tendency to draw animals we'd rather not have in the pile, as well as smells we'd rather not deal with. Think about it - everything you eat is broken down to gather useful nutrients and fuel. Composting is just another way to gather and use useful nutrients and fuel to improve and ammend the soil.

Bookmark   February 16, 2015 at 6:05AM
annpatt

"It would take a while to steal second!"

Oh! snort!

Am I the only person who can't find Garden Web?

Bookmark   February 17, 2015 at 5:02AM
toxcrusadr

Err, you just posted to it. It's possible you don't know where you are though. Can you see any street signs from where you are? LOL

Bookmark   February 17, 2015 at 8:42AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

'bread has eggs and milk in it right' Not here it doesn't. That'd be cake. Whatever, I'd chuck it all in the heap.

Bookmark   February 17, 2015 at 9:53AM
annpatt

Oh! Snort! Flora would just chuck the bread or cake in her heap!! I am doubled over. Those Brits! They're so funny!!

Bookmark   February 17, 2015 at 6:51PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

It's less fattening than eating it. Plus I'm plotting an obesity epidemic amongst the Planaria. They'll get so enormous they'll be unable to move from Maine to the UK.

1 Like    Bookmark   February 18, 2015 at 1:47AM
annpatt

We, here in the state of Maine, have no experience with planaria, Flora. We're a thoughtful, clean, people, every one of us cognizant of the refined sensibilities of visitors to our yard. Most of us here use, to avoid the current outbreak occurring in slothful parts of the U.S., between 18"-24" of plastic wrap to wrap, and discard---and protect from moisture!---any leftover household wheat products, which, as another precaution, I, then, ironically, shove into a plastic bread 'sleeve' before putting the waste into my double-lined trash can.

Should any obese planarians arrive to your island, I would suspect some of the previous posters on this thread and not the fastidious composters from the State of Maine.

Bookmark   February 18, 2015 at 11:26AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Does Maine have a hazardous waste collection system for bread?

Bookmark   February 18, 2015 at 1:18PM
annpatt

No, no, of course not.

In much the same way that they accepted recycling, our responsible citizens quickly adapted to tightly wrapping wheat products in several layers of plastic before placing them in the trash. There was some backlash early on, but a light-hearted ad campaign, using the slogan: Keep it dry in triple ply, eventually converted people, and now I don't know anyone who would toss an unwrapped wheat product into the trash.

Bookmark   February 19, 2015 at 7:36AM
toxcrusadr

Bless you annpatt, the only GardenWebber from an entirely different, parallel universe. :-D

Whereabouts in Maine are you? I was thinking about visiting Maine if spring ever comes. I would promise not to bring bread from MO for your pile but I can't guarantee there will not be stale bread generated during the trip.

Bookmark   February 19, 2015 at 7:49AM
annpatt

(You're not coming in Black Fly season, are you?)

If you came right now, you could shovel about three feet of snow off my roofs.

I am halfway between Bangor and Acadia, both about 45 minutes away. I imagine you're planning to see Acadia if you're coming to Maine for pleasure. My mother is home here with hospice, but you're welcome to stay here if you'd like. (My mother, btw, was the first woman from Maine to graduate from Stephens College in Columbus, MO. Her best friend from Maine was the second. My mother came first alphabetically.)

Visitors to our state are met at the border with this gentle reminder:

Bring it here in a plastic sleeve, and take it with you when you leave.

Help keep ME Planaria Free.

-The Maine Board of Decency and Tourism-

Bookmark   February 19, 2015 at 8:52AM
Lisa_H(7)

I came over to the Soil forum to check and see how everything was bumping along over here. I saw this thread in the "stalker feed" (ha, that's what I call it in FB, not sure what we all it here :) ) and thought, hahaha, this thread will surely draw Ann to table. Sure enough, here she is! (long, long, long, long time soil forum reader!)

1 Like    Bookmark   on Monday at 8:57PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Wait a minute, wait a minute. I somehow recall Maine having planaria big enough to eat crappie. Is that a fuzzy memory or perhaps with ergot I forgot?
My avatar shows a walleye saved from planaria (but not from the BBQ).

tj

Bookmark   on Tuesday at 1:03AM
annpatt

No, no,no. We have only had one planarian visitor to the state ever. A hitchhiker on a biscuit with Chitlins, gravy and grits, whom we put on a southern bound bus immediately upon its arrival, fearing Maine's fastidiousness would prove its demise. We're cold, but not unkind.

Bookmark   on Tuesday at 12:24PM
toxcrusadr

We have friends in Rumford (W of Bangor, N of Portland) with a standing offer to visit, and we might go up there in early May to see a concert in Brownfield, which is NW of Portland over toward White Mt. Natl Forest. So we'd be west of you but we haven't made any specific plans yet, and Acadia is certainly a place to see. Not having been there I would probably be fascinated with all of it. I require a lobstah, preferably on a beach, but with butter in any case. That is my only requirement.

I live in Columbia and am very familiar with Stephens. In fact they have a great equestrian program and some of that Stephens horse manure is in my garden as we speak.

Bookmark   on Wednesday at 8:48AM
annpatt

My mother ended up there because of the equestrian program. Her best friend was a horsewoman who was too afraid to go to Missouri alone so her father convinced my grandfather that my mother should go to Stephens, too. She loved it.

If you head this way, let me know.

Bookmark   20 hours ago
More Discussions
Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing
Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here...
Angelina Zarre
what about those compost tumblers?
We just moved from Northern IL to TN and I need a quick...
ryseryse_2004
Frozen compost
Ok so the deep freeze here in nj is not letting up...
jrupjr
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
Bark (not dog)
What size should the bark "chunks" be to...
Gary Cotterill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™