Replacing Anti-Siphon Valve

jeff7602May 21, 2007

Hey, total newb here!

I moved into a house with an old irrigation system. It only has three zones, and only two that I plan on using now. I replaced all of the heads and the system seems to run well. However the valves that are on are very old and leak. The ones that are on there are lawn genie valves. I bought a couple of rain bird apas-075 valves to replace them. When I took the first one out of the box I noticed that the inlet and outlet holes on the two valves are different distances apart. The lawn genie ones are 4 1/8" apart and the rain bird ones are 3" apart. Is there a different valve that I should have gotten that would be the same or will I have to adjust the pipes coming out of the ground somehow.

Also, how do I take the old valves off? The inlet pipe is metal and the outlet pipe is pvc. What do I need to do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

There is an anti-syphon valve on which the inlet and outlet ports are configured in a U shape. Such a valve is normally required where ever the sprinkler system is connected to the water supply, even it is your private well. The anti-syphon valve is installed about 12" above the sprinkler piping system. A control valve usually has the inlet and outlet ports in a straight line. The easiest way to deal with these valves is to buy the exact replacement and swap out the internal components. If the valve body is leaking, try snugging down the screws evenly. If it is allowing water to pass through when it is closed, then it may need cleaning out only. Disassemble a valve carefully and observe how it has been put together. There is a spring, diaphragm, needle and a disc in there. Usually the diaphragm may need replacement and it is oriented only in a particular way.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 7:36AM
jeff7602

The valves that are on the system are old, and I would rather replace them than try to fix them. They are anti-siphon valves and are in the U-shape you described. My question was, are all of the new ones the same size with the ports 3" aprart or do they vary? And secondly, how does one replace them. They are about 10" above ground.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 12:39PM
donotreply_preventspam_com

The U-shaped anti-siphon valves are standard for all brands. If you want to replace them, you need to saw off the old valves and cement on new ones with the appropriate PVC piping. I would recommend using extendable PVC joiners between the old pipe and the new valves: they allow you to easily cement in the mating sleeves, then simply screw on the extenders to the old pipes and the new valve.

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 7:25PM
ted123

Lawn Genie are simiular to the Irritrol 2711 (3/4) 2713 (1") dpr or apr. You can replace the pop-it and the diaphragm if you would like or just replace the whole valve.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to change a diaphragm

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 10:54PM
wiggedout_mac_com

To John, you mention an extendable PVC joiner. Where can I find that? I've looked everywhere. Is there a particular brand? Thanks

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 6:48PM
HarryThomas

Carol, you can find PVC joiners/pipe fittings on eBay, Amazon and many other reputable companies, including your local home improvement/hardware store.

Here is a link that might be useful: PVC joiners & pipe fittings

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Pulling water from creek for irrigation.
I have a home on a piece of property that has a stream....
mctabish1
Drip Line Brand Recommendation
It's time to replace my decade-old drip lines. What...
raymondo17
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
mshepherd2
Best well pump for drip hose irrigation
I am trying to find some information on selecting a...
srbasile
Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture Sensor
I'm looking to connect a Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture...
cdmanoise
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™