Irrigation valve shuts off immediately

ravensgiftMay 12, 2012

Hello-today I turned on our automatic lawn/garden system for the season. All the stations worked perfectly except one, which turned on, then the valve shut off almost immediately. It is not the controller or the watering time, not the solenoid( did a switch from another properly functioning valve and it still happened), not the valve (I replaced it and it still happens), and I don't think it is the water flow. The only difference between stations is that when this one turns on, there is a lot of air in the pipe, and I sometimes hear chugging as the air/water travel the length of the pipe. This is a 4 year old system and it has never had any problems. I have changed nothing. I have done nothing differently than ever in the past and the water source has not changed (my well).

I hope there is someone who can offer advice that will remedy this puzzling situation before I pull my hair out!

Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bbass408

Did you try bleeding the valve by removing that little screw and running it (and getting sprayed...)? When you take out that screw -- solenoid on or off -- it should definitely run and stay running. You can try to just not tighten it too much and see if that works. But, it might dribble a bit. Sounds like something might be wrong with the valve. They usually have good warranties. If you can remove the valve completely and take it to a good irrigation shop, they'll figure it out for you.

Also, when you start it and then it shuts off after a minute, do you hear it shutting off at the valve?

For whatever it's worth, I've not personally had consistent longevity out of Home D's stuff (the green Orbit ones). I since replaced with Champion and Superior and they just keep chugging along. Some of those have lifetime warranties. I think it's on the brass ones.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 3:46AM
More Discussions
sprinkler selection question
I'm doing some sprinkler maintenance and replacement...
donkeypebbles
drip irrigation design
I ran 2 pipes around my property for drip irrigation....
jimmy21
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
mshepherd2
rainbird esp-rzx controller problem
After two summers of working normally, this year the...
MikeSanderson
Drip Irrigation Help
Hi, I'm looking to install a drip irrigation system...
Dan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™