Some thoughts about starting an simple irrigation project

paulsiu(5a)May 9, 2012

So I want to irrigate a narrow perennial bed. From what I can research, I need:

- A splitter to split the water so I can continue to use the hose.

- Some sort of timer device to time the control of water.

- A pressure controller

- A backflow preventer.

- A filter

- A drip line or soaker.

Most of the components are constant (filter, etc). Some of the other components requires some choices. For example, if I set up a drip line, I can probably direct the water to the plant directly. However, a soaker hose seems easier to setup initially and some of the plants are sort of clump spreaders.

The second issue is the timer device. The cheapest are wind up mechanical devices, but I don't trust them. What if the mechanic blows up and leave the water running? The battery ones are similar to windup but they use batteries. Finally, there are electronic ones you can program. Are they more reliable. What if they malfunction, does the water shutoff? Finally, I wonder if they have ones that can detect rain, so if it has rain, it won't dump out any water.

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

PAul,

My $0.02. You have made good assumptions and a good list. a pressure controller is called a pressure regulator. You can use a vacuum breaker screwed on the faucet end to start your system instead of a backflow preventer. A filter is only necessary if you are using well or pond water. If you are using municipal water a filter is not needed. Battery operated single zone timers are easy, cheaper and reliable now a days. If you move up to multi-zone system then use a hot wired electrical controller. Forget the rain detect type. They are used on the more expensive multi-zone controllers. Your better off just turning off your system when it rains and back on when the rain stops. JMHO Aloha

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 10:52PM
paulsiu(5a)

Thanks.

I have so far install a splitter and a soaker hose, but when I attempt to use this, water started coming out of the handle. This probably means I need to tighten the seat nut.

I am starting to look into timer. According to Amazon, Orbit gets better review than Melnor, but are harder to find.

Paul

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 4:00AM
twolips(z6AZ)

I carry most of Orbit's timers. Let me know if you would like the link, or email me.

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 9:27AM
lehua49

paul,

Make sure you have a standard rubber gasket seal in your female hose end. This usually come with the soaker hose or any hose for that matter. Aloha

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
Help identity sprinkler valve
We bought a house last year that has one zone that...
alg42
Discrepancy in Drip Line Water Flow
Over the weekend I installed some drip line in my garden....
raymondo17
Best well pump for drip hose irrigation
I am trying to find some information on selecting a...
srbasile
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
lauriec
drip irrigation design
I ran 2 pipes around my property for drip irrigation....
jimmy21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™