drip irrigation setup for tomatoes question...

bgaviator(7)May 14, 2013

I am getting tired of the rubber soaker hoses I've been using the last two years always developing pinholes in the tubing. I am considering this year for my tomatoes running a drip emitter type system this year.
I am thinking about running a main 1/2 inch line across the front of the tomato bed, then having 1/2 inch lines running down each side of each row of tomatoes. I thought about having one, .5 gph drip emmiter on each side of the tomato plant. I already have a timer that I can use.
Does this sound like a good way to go? What is the suggested timing/frequency on using a drip system like this? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

bg,

Perfectly fine. I use adjustable emitters. Just see what the system does and adjust. The plants need less when young(small root system) and more as they mature(large root system). You could actually put emitters on both side of the plant to get coverage faster. All depends on how long you run your irrigation. Trial and error is the best method. Aloha

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdscpa(z5 NWKS)

I don't see the need for a line down each side. I use one line down each tomato row, with an emitter near each plant. The plant will send out enough roots to take up the water it wants.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 8:59PM
More Discussions
Challenge to Irrigate a New Garden Area
I'm putting up a deer fence to enclose an 95'x35' area....
redsun9
Sprinkler to Soaker Hose/Drip System
My project to convert an existing sprinkler zone to...
mixdplate
How may drip lines for 4' x 8' beds?
Hi there! I'm trying to decide my drip irrigation layout...
Robin Goodrich
Greenhouse irrigation advice
We are planning to build a 13'x'30' greenhouse in the...
rogerius
Irrigation Outage
Had a power outage at my home. I reset the GFI switch...
mchidiac
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™