Questions about a PVC system

scottmazzyMay 5, 2014

Hi,

I've tried drip and soaker hose systems. The drip emitters (punch a hole and plug in the drip emitter fitting types) always plugged up, broke off, or gave me trouble. Even at low pressure the black supply lines would get hot in the sun and blow off from the supply fittings). On the other hand, the soaker hoses simply rotted away or got so stiff that they cracked.

I've seen a couple people construct their own PVC system using 3/4 and 1/2 inch PVC with 1/16 inch holes drilled in them. It seems logical that the system would work...if you could properly control the pressure and flow.

Does anyone have any experience using a home made PVC system?

Thanks,
Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silverdraggon(5)

I think it would be a little hard to manage application rate by just drilling holes in pvc. Driplines can take a little management (especially if you are using less than professional grade product, or in higher traffic areas) but you'll find pvc can be quite brittle, and moreso the longer it stays out in the sun. Pvc isn't uv resistant like black poly is.

I would lean towards a good inline drip system. The poly line can be expensive, but its very no-maintenance since the emitters are built right in. They will never fall off, and provided you set yourself up with a decent filter and flush the line once a year, shouldn't clog. The nicer ones are even designed against root intrusion, so you can bury the line to keep it cool, and not worry about your plants growing roots inside the pipe.

All that being said, the pvc with holes drilled in it might still be a decent option for you. Application rates aside, really the goal is just to get water to the plants...

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 7:10PM
familyman2004(z8 MS)

Go with the poly with the emitters built into it. I have been using mine for 3 years with no problems. I Cant imagine gardening without it.

Bookmark   May 24, 2014 at 11:51PM
Capecodirrigationguy

put in a filter and pressure reducer.

use clamps when needed.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 11:40AM
scottmazzy

Thanks for the advice. I went with a drip line system made by www.dripworks.com. They sell 1/4" drip lines with emitters built into them. It works really well.

Scott

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
First experience with irrigation system
Our builder installed, as a part of the "package",...
vlk20
Continuous Loop Dripline
While watching a YouTube video on drip line installation,...
raymondo17
Help with tricky (at least for me) water access
Hi, I have an issue that I'll be having to deal with...
Bob.Jackson
How may drip lines for 4' x 8' beds?
Hi there! I'm trying to decide my drip irrigation layout...
Robin Goodrich
Drip Line Brand Recommendation
It's time to replace my decade-old drip lines. What...
raymondo17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™