Is Using Creek Water Safe

mdsmdMay 10, 2008

Hello, My wife waters our small vegetable garden using water from a small creek that runs through our property. Has anyone considered the question of the safety of doing this? I would be greatly appreciative of anyone who could provide insight into this.

Thank you!

MS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

You could have the water tested and find out if there is contamination of some kind. These days, there is a wide variety of things in water: excess farm chemicals, toxic waste from old mines or manufacturing upstream, parasites like giardia and cryptosporidium from wildlife and livestock, etc. Some (like lead and other heavy metals) can be absorbed by the plants, others could be just surface contamination (like parasites).

Call your local Cooperative Extension Service office, and talk to them about what you want to know. EXACTLY what you want to know. Don't just say you want to have your water tested, or they'll charge you about $8 and just do a bacterial or coliform test. If they don't do it, they will know who does. Then talk to THEM about what you want to know.

If the water needs some sort of purification, ask if a simple slow sand/charcoal filter would take care of most of it. They will know what these are, as many municipal water companies use them. You can make a simple one yourself fairly cheaply, I think. Just google 'slow sand filter' and consider including a couple of 3-4" thick bands of charcoal embedded within the sand.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. Cooperative Extension Service offices

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 1:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdsmd

Sue, Thanks for your input and the link. Honestly I had forgotten all about asking the extension service, I haven't ever had a chance to use them. It's all just common sense .... glad to have some of yours to use as well!!

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 8:04AM
More Discussions
Sprinkler to Soaker Hose/Drip System
My project to convert an existing sprinkler zone to...
mixdplate
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
mshepherd2
Drip Line Brand Recommendation
It's time to replace my decade-old drip lines. What...
raymondo17
Yet another request for help identifying irrigation valves
Anyone able to help me identify this valve? The house...
bbaztempe
Drip Irrigation Help
Hi, I'm looking to install a drip irrigation system...
Dan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™