Mulching around the rose bushes

nickjoseph(5 Milwaukee, WI)May 21, 2014

I normally put down a layer of cedar shredded mulch around all my rose bushes. Then around December before bad freezing--I put my collars around the bushes & fill the collars with the existing mulch. Now in Spring, after I took the collars off, I gently raked all the old mulch off & disposed of. I've heard to wait to add new mulch til the roses start to get more foliage. So, should I be adding new mulch now or wait? Thanks.
Also, can anyone out there tell me what the most disease resistant hybrid teas are? I've pretty much stuck with those type of roses except for a few David Austin Old English. Love hybrid teas. Not crazy about the floridbundas. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

It doesn't matter much. Leaving the ground exposed allows the soil to heat up on warm sunny days--or chill down during a cold spell.

I leave the old mulch and let it rot into the soil. Most people do. Applying a layer of new mulch helps suppress fungi.

You should put your state and climate zone into your signature. We can help more if we know whether it is cold enough to warrant the collars, and whether you are in a blackspot area or a rust/mildew area.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 2:48PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

OK, I see on another thread you are in Wisconsin. A couple of HT-like roses that are hardier and more blackspot-resistant than most HTs are 'Earth Song' and 'Mother of Pearl.'

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 3:27PM
nickjoseph(5 Milwaukee, WI)

Thanks so much! Will be looking these two HTs up. I just did. Love, love, love the look of the Mother of Pearl. Not so crazy about the antique type roses which the Earth Song is. My favorite are what look like the long stem roses people get from a florist. Most of my HTs look like those. My favorite were the purple ones (can't think of the name off-hand), but two bushes did beautiful for about 4 years each, then died.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 6:07PM

Michael, I think my zone is 5, although in Milwaukee, Wisconsin--it was a lot colder this past winter than a zone 5. So should I keep it a zone 5? Thanks!

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 6:15PM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

I never dispose of our old mulch but let it rot into the ground. I just keep putting down new mulch over top of it when needed...

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 6:45PM

I used to just keep putting down new mulch over the old--but after years it wasn't completely rotting into the ground & it was nasty, so I raked it all off & started anew. Now, like I said, I use the mulch in the rose collars when I winterize.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 7:14PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

You don't need to change your zone because of an atypical winter.

Another rose you might look at is 'Les Sjulin'. It is definitely high centered, but doesn't hold form as long as most HTs.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
do rabbits eat roses
my roses have been eaten down to about 18" and...
dmoore66
Montezuma
Does anyone grow this rose? I got one yesterday for...
meandmyyard
Partial Shade Miniflora
I am looking for some Minifloras that would be okay...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses
Can you please post pictures of your roses from chambleeroses...
bluehaven_gweb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™