Nice Cedar posts...tiny butterflies & lovely Expressionist

dragonflydeeMarch 7, 2013

Sculpture! I entombed in abt 200 acres of pines appreciate all cedars I find.
DD

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumbzdude

Good Luck

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 6:49PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I've read the title and original post about four of five times and still have no idea what this thread is about.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 6:52PM
greenthumbzdude

He claims that he is surrounded by 200 acres of pine trees and is looking for some cedar trees to sculpture with....

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 3:33PM
sam_md

I appreciate dragonflydee's post, heck I appreciate all posts here. This forum has slowed down to a crawl, we're don't have the option of being persnickety. :)

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 4:30PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Persnickety???? Personally, I don't see too much of that here. Most of the time, I think we get it about right here in this forum. But, occasionally, I'll see something that I just don't understand, and the original post in this thread is one of those times. I still don't know if dragonflydee is just expressing his/her appreciation for cedars, wanting someone to send cedar wood, or if it's something completely unrelated. I guess tiny butterflies could be carved from cedar, but I may be way out on a limb with that guess.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 6:19PM
pineresin

Here's a pic of a cedar cone, to keep the thread going

Resin

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 8:00PM
sam_md

Something just dawned on me, I reckon that Resin never smelled the aromatic Juniperus virginiana after it was cut into lumber. Am I right?
The Old World Cedars might be great for building temples, but what does their wood smell like?

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 8:37PM
pineresin

"The Old World Cedars might be great for building temples, but what does their wood smell like?"

Heavenly. No surprise they were used for temples. Also looks very nice, too.

Resin

This post was edited by pineresin on Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 21:11

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 9:09PM
scotjute

Supposedly the resin/oils were used by the ancient Egyptians during embalming process.
From Wikepedia : "The inner wood is aromatic and used to make incense. Inner wood is distilled into essential oil. As insects avoid this tree, the essential oil is used as insect repellent on the feet of horses, cattle and camels. It also has anti-fungal properties[citation needed] and has some potential for control of fungal deterioration of spices during storage. The outer bark and stem are astringent.[10]"

"Due to its anti fungal and insect repellent properties rooms made of Deodar wood are used to store meat and food grains like oats and wheat in Shimla, Kullu and Kinnaur district of Himachal Pradesh. In Himachal people suffering from Asthma or other respiratory problems are advised to sit under a Deodar tree early in the morning."

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
Ilex x 'Scepter' -- anyone growing this?
Is anyone growing Ilex x 'Scepter'? It just looks like...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Destructive trimming of trees. HELP!!!!
Our neighborhood association board has been going crazy...
beachem
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
Japanese snowbell - anyone with experience growing in zone 5?
I'm looking for a tree for our front yard. Japanese...
mattow42
need help pruning trees
I have a Kentucky Coffee Tree (gymnocladus dioicus)...
Dave Varel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™