yellow knockout only blooms half way up

emily2002May 4, 2014

I have a yellow knockout that is several years old and has always performed as a knockout should. However, this year, it has buds and blooms half way up a bush that is about 7 feet tall and the top is green and healthy but no buds or blooms. I fertilized it as I did all my roses with 14-4-14 and none of them are doing this. I have around 600 roses but this has me baffled. Can anybody help me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Usually the solution to blind shoots is to cut them back some and let them grow out again. The second time around they should put on buds. If you had a bad winter or any kind of odd weather during the spring growing season it could by why it put on so much blind growth.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 4:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AquaEyes 7a New Jersey

I'm assuming the proper name is 'Sunny Knock Out'. I'm also assuming that you bought the rose as a grafted/budded plant. What may have happened is that a sucker of the rootstock (probably 'Dr. Huey') has grown, and that is the tall cane you're seeing with no flower buds. 'Dr. Huey' blooms on old wood, and naturally grows as a small climber. Look at your rose to see if the tall cane is coming from below the graft/bud union. If so, it needs to be removed.

:-)

~Christopher

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Does Anyone Grow Rina Hugo?
This is a new rose in my garden, and one I'd never...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
What's wrong with my rose bush?
Can anyone please shed some light on what's wrong with...
alyong
Simplicity-Even a bad rose sometimes can be good
Simplicity is overall a rose best skipped. But it has...
Kippy
Old Rose Seminar, May 2, 2015 San Juan Bautista, CA
By tomorrow, I hope to have this up on the Heritage...
jerijen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™