Soaker hose question

chrisandjenny2003(9)May 14, 2008

I just planted some new Silver thorn aka ileagnus bushes. I have been watering by hand with a hand held nozzle that I can shut on and off between bushes. I want to buy a soaker hose to place along the back of these new bushes to water them, but my question is this: How long do I water to get the ground good and saturated as they need to be? or how can I check to make sure I am watering enough with a soaker hose? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasper_60103(z4 MN)

...or how can I check to make sure I am watering enough with a soaker hose?

Yea, you want to be sure to water new plantings deeply. I would continue to do it by hand, but you may get a better answer on the shrubs forum.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 8:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

chrisandjerry, you can find out how much water you use now by running the hand held waterer into a five gallon bucket and timing how long it takes to fill it. Calculate a gpm that the hand waterer delivers. Then time how long you use it to water the Eleagnus plants. You can now calculate how many gallons you use per watering (time in minutes times gallons per minute).
Most soaker hoses are rated in gpm per foot or similar measure. You decide on the length needed, multiply by the manufacturer's rating and divide by the gpm. This will tell you how long you must run the soaker hose to deliver approximately the same amount of water.

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Pulling water from creek for irrigation.
I have a home on a piece of property that has a stream....
mctabish1
My sprinkler system station stopped working
Hello! I have a problem with my sprinkler system. One...
holia123
sprinkler selection question
I'm doing some sprinkler maintenance and replacement...
donkeypebbles
Best well pump for drip hose irrigation
I am trying to find some information on selecting a...
srbasile
Irrigation upgrade - who to call?
My property has an old irrigation system. It works...
cakbu z9 CA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™