Drip irrigation to second floor window boxes

don46May 28, 2014

I ran a 1/4 inch drip line off my ground level irrigation system straight up about 25 feet and then over (horizontally) about 30 feet above the windows with two T lines coming down about 6 or 7 feet to each window box. A long way to travel I realize.
This was working pretty well with a slow drip, but with enough time, the plants got watered.
Some changes were made on the ground level; in short more water is now going to plants on the ground and my window boxes are not getting enough.
I tried changing the emitter to a 5gph one, but I don't see any difference at the window boxes.
Is there a better way to do this? I want to make sure this is getting water so we can go away and not have water the plants by hand.
Thanks
Don

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Capecodirrigationguy

Hi Don.

Can you provide some pictures?
what type of watering zone did you hook up into?

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 11:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silverdraggon(5)

50' is definitly a little far for 1/4" drip tube. I love doing planter boxes and balcony pots. I would have done this run with 1/2" poly to get to the boxes. If you spend some time planning the route of the pipe, you might even find it possible to hid a lot of the run behind siding and trim. Once you are close to the boxes you can build a drip manifold and run your 1/4" tube, 2 to each box if needed.

You could also try using a bubbler or spray type emitter instead of a drip emitter, they put out much more water. However I'm not sure your 1/4" run is supplying enough water to make much of a difference, even if you took the emitters right off.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
lauriec
Discrepancy in Drip Line Water Flow
Over the weekend I installed some drip line in my garden....
raymondo17
Help with tricky (at least for me) water access
Hi, I have an issue that I'll be having to deal with...
Bob.Jackson
Avocado tree, brown on tip of leaves
The leaves on my avocado tree are turning brown. They...
dooger2
drip irrigation design
I ran 2 pipes around my property for drip irrigation....
jimmy21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™