Digging/Pouding Well Point for shallow well

cpy911(8)May 19, 2007

Hi,

I am digging/building a shallow well to water my lawn and garden on a small city lot. I was lead to believe that the water table is very high in the area that I am in.

First, I tried pounding the well point (sand point?) into the ground. It is a 2" diameter point. I got down a few feet, and realized I was making little progess. I then bought a 2" auger and had it modified so I could add extension handles to it. I will then pound the well point in this hole, it should be a lot eaiser. I have now augered a hole 2" down 18'. I was hoping to find sand, but I am still pulling up clay. The samples I have pulled up have just a few particles of sand, but basically clay.

There is A LOT of water in the hole I have dug. The water is sitting about 6' down below ground. It has not rained for a long time. HAVE I HIT WATER? Is it time to start pounding in the well point? I have a hand pitcher that I will hook up to test.

I thought I would hit sand and not be able to dig more, but I am just not hitting sand. Just clay and lots of water.

So, what do you think? Time to start pounding in the well point? Is this well hopeless? If I can't hit sand at 18', then maybe the aquafer is too deep for a shallow well?

My father did one of these shallow wells in a town south of where I am, and it has worked for over 20 years...

Thanks,

cpy911

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geotrader_yahoo_com

What happened? Did you find the water you need? How do you harness and use it?

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 9:42AM
generalsecord

how do i get the sand out of the 2inch pipe ihave pounded down for my shallow well.also at 10ft i am getting wet surger sand.how will i know when i have hit water,will it just come up in the pipe or what
thanks
george

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 9:01AM
steve_l

I stick a garden hose down the pipe and flush the sand back up and out the top of the pipe. You can check for the water level by tieing a string to large washer or something, and lowering it into the pipe.

Bookmark   June 27, 2007 at 10:44AM
cpy911(8)

See my post today...
Basically I hit water 8' down. I am trying to decide if I need to go deeper than 18' down.

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
drip irrigation design
I ran 2 pipes around my property for drip irrigation....
jimmy21
Yet another request for help identifying irrigation valves
Anyone able to help me identify this valve? The house...
bbaztempe
Irrigating with portable barrels
I'm wanting to irrigate my garden with a series of...
jon2412
Sprinkler to Soaker Hose/Drip System
My project to convert an existing sprinkler zone to...
mixdplate
Best well pump for drip hose irrigation
I am trying to find some information on selecting a...
srbasile
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™