do 'Soaker Hoses' work well?

walksindarkness(z5 MA)May 25, 2005

Hi All,

I have a 40' row of new shrubs. During the dry months I want to make sure they are well watered. I see "soaker" hoses at Lowes, that are made out of porous recycled rubber. I plan to lay it on top of the mulch bed during the hot months, and water as needed. Do these work well?

TIA,

Will

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eltigre(z5 KS)

Yes, they do. Keep an eye on how long you run it. Excess water will rot roots.

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 1:50PM
indylars(Indianapolis 5)

Love em for dry shade areas. They are great for a good deep soaking.

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 5:38PM
radwmack

I run 'em through my rose beds and they work great, but you'll conserve the water that you use better if you run the hose under the mulch.

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 10:58AM
LovinRoses(7GrtsPassOR)

I love mine. Have used them in several areas in our new home. Purchased them at Costco at a good price. I have used them for a line of new Leland Cypress trees and various other evergreens. Plan on using them in a rose garden also!! Suzy

Bookmark   June 29, 2005 at 3:03AM
mxracer264(z5MI)

Have used 'em for years and love them. One tip though when you are joining hoses putting on ends etc. smear the adapators with some cooking oil(handiest for me) and the ends slip right on

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 10:44PM
lazylady(NW AL)

Got a new one at Walmart last year, first time I pulled on it, it broke. Got another one at Lowes. It waters the proximal end with a stream and the distal end gets nothing.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 3:36PM
catlady4444(7)

Love soaker hoses! You do need to put more hose length at the end of your row of plants---I get enough hose to loop it back. 50' is definitely the max length to use in my experience.

Put them in immediately when you plant, +/- make big loops around the plant bases, cover with mulch. If they're exposed to sun they degrade faster.

Check them well each spring. One of my beds was doing poorly this year; turns out the hose had a crack and all the water was dumping in one spot. They do last a few years though, if you take good care of them.

I take off the washer that comes with them and put on a regular washer to get the job done quicker.

mxracer---great tip! Thanks!

Ann

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 8:10AM
More Discussions
Drip Irrigation Help
Hi, I'm looking to install a drip irrigation system...
Dan
Irrigation upgrade - who to call?
My property has an old irrigation system. It works...
cakbu z9 CA
Pulling water from creek for irrigation.
I have a home on a piece of property that has a stream....
mctabish1
Help with tricky (at least for me) water access
Hi, I have an issue that I'll be having to deal with...
Bob.Jackson
Discrepancy in Drip Line Water Flow
Over the weekend I installed some drip line in my garden....
raymondo17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™