Nonflowering Dogwood

lilchynaqtMarch 10, 2010

I'm in search of some information about nonflowering dogwoods. Size, sun, care, etc. The builder of our house just had landscapers come today and planted about 15 of these on the side of my house. I didn't know that the had intentional non-flowering dogwood trees. I thought it was just a problem that people had. All I seem to find is information about dogwoods that don't flower, but the landscapers told me that's just what they do. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

I have never heard of this! I don't believe him. Did he give you a botanical name for this special plant?

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 8:26PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Why plant a flowering dogwood that does not flower? More likely these are seed-raised plants that will not flower as small as grafted stock.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 11:37PM
mainegrower(Z5b ME)

Unless what the landscaper planted was some kind of sterile hybrid, he's wrong about not blooming. There are several shrubby dogwoods that have very small insignificant flowers which have the effect of being non-flowering. If the things planted really are trees rather than shrubs, all of the tree form dogwoods including alternifolia, florida, kousa and others do flower.

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 5:18AM
esh_ga

Yes, perhaps what he meant was it was "NOT" flowering dogwood which is the common name for this particular dogwood:

All other dogwoods DO flower, they just have a completely different looking flower, like this for example:

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 7:02AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

There are other bracted dogwoods besides Cornus florida, for example the also very popular C. kousa.

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 12:48PM
gardengal48

All angiosperms (non-cone bearing plants) flower - even male varieties and sterile hybrids - that is how nature intends for them to reproduce. The flowers may require a specific age before they are produced or they may be so inconspicuous as to appear not to be present but it's gonna happen sooner or later. Even if the flowering parts do not work as nature intended, they will still be produced unless manually removed or prevented from forming.

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 1:26PM
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Being an old landscaper myself, I would say the most likely scenario is that your landscaper is either incompetent or unethical. Or they could be saying exactly what the builder told them to say. Non-flowering my hiney.

Dan

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 3:40PM
naturegirl_2007(5B SW Michigan)

Can you post a picture of the plant. Fifteen on one side of a house makes me wonder if it is a small shrubby dogwood species.....or a very large house.

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 12:14AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

I completely agree with Dan. I'm an old landscaper myself.
There is no such thing as a nonflowering Dogwood. If there was, who would want it?

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
Help/how to maintain Aspens
Hi- we moved into a house with large mature Aspens...
Kate
Walnut tree in Berkeley?
I'm trying to find a walnut tree to draw in Berkeley...
terry94705
Maple, Beech, Oak - proximity to natural gas line?
I will be planting the following trees at these distances...
johniferous
Pruning yaupon holly as tree
The builder put in 15 gal (I think) yaupon holly shrubs...
Meghan Mccarthy
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™