Can you ID this flower?

prairiemoon2 z6 MAJune 23, 2014

I'd like to figure out what this is and whether it is something I can grow in my zone. A Ranunculus of some kind? Looks like a huge flower, I haven't seen this in any nursery or catalog.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_in_sask

Sure looks like ranunculus to me, the thing with the buds might be throwing you off...those could be freesias.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 10:54AM
Campanula UK Z8

I agree, Donna - looks like a bouquet or posy with ranunculus and freesia

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 12:21PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Check out the double forms of Ranunculus asiaticus. They are hardy to zone 8, so aren't outdoor plants in New England. I have seen them locally in pots in mid-spring occasionally.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 8:01AM
Campanula UK Z8

mmmm, ranunculus are tricksy to grow, being sensitive to temperature and daylength. Many fail because the corms/tubers/claws are sold in spring when it is far too late for them to flower and bloom - they may leaf up but will only produce vegetative and root growth. To succeed with these, they need to be planted in late summer/autumn (like anemone coronaria or the De Caen hybrids), kept dryish all winter and started into growth (by watering) just after Xmas in a cool greenhouse. They will start to leaf up in January and should start to bloom early April. As soon as day length increases, they go back into vegetative growth.
So, Woody, I would probably not bother with these unless you find some in bloom around Easter when you can keep them and continue the growth cycle for next year.
They are as easy (?) from seed as from tubers....but planting times are the same - they can be forced into growth in around 20weeks.

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 10:09AM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

My daughter was in France this past spring and she found bouquets of ranunculus for sale and loved them. I wanted to try to grow them for her, but it doesn't sound feasible. I'm in zone 6 and they won't winter over for me if they're only hardy to zone 8. If they need to be started in the late summer and grown over the winter, no green house here and not really wanting another winter project.

Okay, well, she's going to have to keep buying bunches of them when she can find them, then. Thank you all for settling that one for me. :-)

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 10:58

Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 10:56AM
More Discussions
Agapanthus - where to buy?
I want to grow Agapanthus - the white one. Anyone know...
bluehaven_gweb
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
flowers of Doc.Martin TV show
I am trying to ID the flowers on the side of the road...
maple_man
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™