Attaching a drip system to a garden hose?

sweetwilliam89(5b)May 17, 2013

My wife and I have a drip irrigation system that we attach to the faucet from our house. I'm renting some additional land and they have regular garden hoses attached to their faucets. Is it possible to attach a drip irrigation system to a garden hose instead of to a faucet? I think the folk I'm renting from want to leave the hose attached to the faucet so the only way I can see to use a drip system is by attaching it to the hose instead of the faucet, but I may be wrong about that. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdscpa(z5 NWKS)

Yes, you can do that. I grow container tomatoes on the sidewalk at the end of my garden. I use a Rain-bird drip adapter.

Last year I attached it to the faucet. This year, I added an additional container very close to the faucet. That required too sharp a bend in the drip tube, and caused it to kink.

So, I cut a 3-4 ft. section of hose with M & F connectors to connect the Rain-bird filter/pressure adjusting thing to the faucet without requiring as sharp a bend. It is working great.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 8:33PM
sweetwilliam89(5b)

Thanks for the info tdscpa when I think about the question it likley seems like a pretty basic question. But, not knowing too much about drip irrigation, I believe I've read a drip system can't handle the water pressure of water household water pipes without some sort of regulator and I didn't know if I'd be able to attach the regulator to a hose instead of to a faucet. (Don't know what might prevent from working, but didn't know if it would work.)

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 8:54AM
majeha

It is true that drip systems are designed for relatively low water pressure and a regulator (and filter!) are often desirable or required.

Fortunately, regulators are available for either hose thread or pipe thread. Just pick the appropriate one for your needs.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 5:39PM
tdscpa(z5 NWKS)

The Rain-bird faucet or hose-end drip adapter I mentioned above regulates the pressure so the drip emitters are not blown out of the tubing.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
Drip Irrigation Help
Hi, I'm looking to install a drip irrigation system...
Dan
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
lauriec
Sprinkler to Soaker Hose/Drip System
My project to convert an existing sprinkler zone to...
mixdplate
Help with tricky (at least for me) water access
Hi, I have an issue that I'll be having to deal with...
Bob.Jackson
Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture Sensor
I'm looking to connect a Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture...
cdmanoise
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™