Attaching a drip system to a garden hose?

sweetwilliam89(5b)May 17, 2013

My wife and I have a drip irrigation system that we attach to the faucet from our house. I'm renting some additional land and they have regular garden hoses attached to their faucets. Is it possible to attach a drip irrigation system to a garden hose instead of to a faucet? I think the folk I'm renting from want to leave the hose attached to the faucet so the only way I can see to use a drip system is by attaching it to the hose instead of the faucet, but I may be wrong about that. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdscpa(z5 NWKS)

Yes, you can do that. I grow container tomatoes on the sidewalk at the end of my garden. I use a Rain-bird drip adapter.

Last year I attached it to the faucet. This year, I added an additional container very close to the faucet. That required too sharp a bend in the drip tube, and caused it to kink.

So, I cut a 3-4 ft. section of hose with M & F connectors to connect the Rain-bird filter/pressure adjusting thing to the faucet without requiring as sharp a bend. It is working great.

    Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 8:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks for the info tdscpa when I think about the question it likley seems like a pretty basic question. But, not knowing too much about drip irrigation, I believe I've read a drip system can't handle the water pressure of water household water pipes without some sort of regulator and I didn't know if I'd be able to attach the regulator to a hose instead of to a faucet. (Don't know what might prevent from working, but didn't know if it would work.)

    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 8:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It is true that drip systems are designed for relatively low water pressure and a regulator (and filter!) are often desirable or required.

Fortunately, regulators are available for either hose thread or pipe thread. Just pick the appropriate one for your needs.

    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 5:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tdscpa(z5 NWKS)

The Rain-bird faucet or hose-end drip adapter I mentioned above regulates the pressure so the drip emitters are not blown out of the tubing.

    Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 8:11AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Garden not close to water source. Ideas?
My garden is about 400-500 feet from the closest water...
No battery watering system for small garden: recommendations
Can anyone recommends a watering system that isn't...
Justin Mettam
Drip Line Brand Recommendation
It's time to replace my decade-old drip lines. What...
First experience with irrigation system
Our builder installed, as a part of the "package",...
How may drip lines for 4' x 8' beds?
Hi there! I'm trying to decide my drip irrigation layout...
Robin Goodrich
Sponsored Products
Uttermost Serene Hand Painted Art
Beyond Stores
GARDENA Circular Vario Sprinkler - 1948
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Campania International Small Versailles Cast Stone Planter - P-604-AL
$659.99 | Hayneedle
9" Copper Bucket Planter - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Floral LED Pendant by David Trubridge Design
$6,480.00 | Lumens
FloVert Five-Pocket Trailing Flower Garden
$29.99 | zulily
Rectangular Copper Planter and Tray
Signature Hardware
46" Treated Pine Chippendale Garden Bench
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™