Spark arrestor on a new Generac

tom_nwnj(z6 NJ)November 1, 2012

Hi, have a new Generac (17.5 Kw) with less than 20 hours. The spark arrestor fell off. It's just a connical screen with a collar. Seems to have had some threads on the collar to hold it to the muffler pipe. The threads are now gone, and probably need a new one.

Question is, on a new 4 stroke gas engine, can I run for 20-30 hours without a spark arrestor? (Seems they are more important for engines with carbon buildup.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

Please post a picture showing this matter to help toward a suggested repair. IMO, running w/o a spark arrest is a concern when you have possible fire conditions from exhaust sparks (as dry grass and etc in the area).

Bookmark   November 1, 2012 at 3:44PM
tom_nwnj(z6 NJ)

Well, here's a pic from Google, looks like the one below. Really just wondering if a spark arrestor is necessary on a new 4-stroke engine. Probably take at least a week to get another one.

Thanks!

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 6:11AM
tomplum

The spark arrestor itself doesn't affect the runability of the engine. It really does as the name indicates and is there to lessen the chance of fire from tossing a spark from the exhaust. You may be thinking of the practice not to remove a screen from a 2 stroke as some tend to remove them rather than to do proper maintenance or address the cause of the plugging- IE a rich mix or plugged air filter.

Bookmark   November 2, 2012 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
Building storage shed on a terraced slope
Is it safe to build a storage shed occupying two levels...
Thomas Lu
honda snowblower problem
i have a honda 928 snowblower... good machine, but...
rudall
cultivator or tiller or both
In the past I've manually tilled and cultivated my...
Bushwhacker Blood
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed on this Site
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed...
loger_gw
1983 troy-bilt cultivator plus wheels
Read with great interest all the posts so far for the...
rayleman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™