Buy new batts for Bosch 18V NiMH set, or switch to a Li-Ion set?

hdclown(9)November 29, 2009

I have a Bosch 18V cordless set that uses NiMH batts. The original batteries are shot and a replacement pair will be about $160. Wondering if this is a good time to try and sell the set and move into a Li-Ion set, which would more likely than not be DeWalt or Milwaukee.

I'm thinking that if I sold the current tools without the batteries, I could get $250'ish. Add the $160 for new batteries I would have to spend, and I'm only $100-150 off from a new 4 piece Li-Ion set. So the math makes sense to me.

Just wondering if it's worthwhile for new Li-Ion tech?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rdaystrom

That's what I did. The NiMH technology is on it's way out. Everyone is going Li-Ion. I recommend the Milwaukee 18v. They have several models at 18 volts. I got the hammer-drill with 650 inch pounds torque. It came with a free 18v impact driver to boot. Got three batteries and charger. Had it a year now and it's fantastic. Milwaukee batteries have a "charge" indicator gauge that's quite useful. I have no complaints at all. My brother's same aprox. age Makita Li-Ion drill already bit the dust. Stripped out high gear.

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 7:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

All I can say is the Dewalt batteries are pricey too. I know when I get sick of the Dewalt goodies I have, I'll buy more intelligently next time. Have you considered having your batteries rebuilt?

Bookmark   November 29, 2009 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Disgusted with my Mantis tiller
I've had a Mantis tiller since Spring of 2005. It's...
mitchb2
Deep Spader
Has anyone used a deep spader? How did you like it?...
svachon
What locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine?
I wanted to see what locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs...
loger_gw
Mantis Tiller purge bulb
I cannot get gasoline to come into the purge bulb....
Alice40
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™