Best above-ground sprinkler(s) for low pressure?

LibbyLizMay 23, 2006

I've lived in a rental house for 2 years & have low water pressure.

I was using a metal impulse sprinkler for the backyard, where the pressure is best & will turn the head.

On the side/front yard I was using a metal oscillating sprinkler where the pressure is lowest, but will still turn the arm.

I wasn't able to use both at the same time & certainly couldn't get the impulse sprinkler to turn if water was running inside the house (i.e. flushed toilet, filling clothes or dishwasher).

A neighbor moved & left behind plastic oscillating sprinklers.

I decided to give them a try after seeing other neighbors on the same water line use these & get quite the water stream distance from them.

After trying them out myself I find they will both operate at the same time, though the water stream distance is decreased.

I've also seen neighbors use plastic impulse sprinklers & get quite the water stream distance & fast movement, unlike my metal impulse sprinkler head.

However, it looks like the plastic impulse sprinklers don't really get the whole area wet (kind of the same as below).

Even when I used my metal impulse sprinkler head I noticed a circular pattern of grass being green nearest the sprinkler, then a brown circular patch, then a green circular patch where the stream ended.

Few neighbors though use the plastic 3-arm circular sprinkler & get quite the distance from those too.

But they look like they may water deeply & thoroughly.

I'm still working on getting the lawn green again after a hot dry spell that dried the lawn to a crisp in a matter of days & can't tell yet if the plastic oscillating sprinklers are deeply & thoroughly watering the grass.

I guess my question is, what above-ground sprinkler do you think is best for low pressure, one that waters the deepest & most thorough?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The material the sprinkler is made of doesn't matter. You need a sprinkler that uses a smaller amount of water and that shoots far enough to cover your area. It sounds like a single stream rotor is what you want. All home improvement stores have these.

    Bookmark   May 26, 2006 at 11:01PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Making changes of existing irrigation system
Hi folks, am hoping you can help me with these questions. I...
Reusing old well for water needs
I'm building a house and need some advice on how to...
Problem valve
Hi, I have got a problem with my newly installed irrigation...
Irritrol RD900 Solenoid Chatter
Hi, I am trying to diagnose a problem with my sprinkler...
Drip Line Brand Recommendation
It's time to replace my decade-old drip lines. What...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™