Apple tree pollinators

Gracie67March 8, 2014

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm planning to plant three apple trees this spring - and have never planted a tree before in my life! I have already ordered a Golden Russet, and my other choices at the moment are Chestnut Crab and James Grieve. I know that the crab is a good pollinator - but I'm confused by the flowering categories. The russet is flowering group 2, and the grieve is flowering group 3. All I can find out about the crab is that it flowers early to mid may.

Can anyone let me know if these three trees are a good match?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

welcome to GW and this forum ...

however.. there is a fruit forum... and timing of bloom and pollination.. might be better answered there...

you might get AN answer here ... but you might get more there...

any good seller.. ought to be able to give you the answer also ... presuming you arent relying on bigboxstore ....

see link on how to plant a tree ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 8:56AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Golden Russet is an early-mid season bloomer. Most any diploid cultivar with early, early-mid, or mid season bloom time will work great for a pollenizer (bees work well as pollinators). Chestnut Crab is a diploid early-mid season bloomer and James Grieve is a diploid mid season bloomer, so both cultivars should be great pollenizers.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 3:14PM
edlincoln(6A)

If you have never planted a tree and are ordering one by mail:
1.) Make sure they arrive a day you are likely to be home at least part of the day and have time to plant it. (ie do not arrive a weekend you are away).
2.) If they are bare root, be aware they will look dead and disappointing. That is true even if they are perfectly healthy.
3.) If it they are dormant don't bring them inside...it could break dormancy early.
4.) Soak the roots in a bucket of water before planting.
5.) If there is *ANYONE* who *EVER* does yard work for you...stake the tree, use tree tubes, label them, etc. May or may not be good for the tree, but it's easy for a new planting to be confused with a weed or clipped by a weed whacker.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 23:47

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Cherry Tree Looks Ready to Split
We have a cheery tree in our front yard with a split...
donfalco2
Tree Removal Plan
Hi, I have a 100ft Silver Maple in my front lawn. It...
ACharles
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™