Buying a lawn sweeper and need advice

golfer_2008(7)November 16, 2012

Any advice or recomendations for a good quality 48 or 50 inch tow behind lawn sweeper to collect grass clippings and fall leaves will be greatly appreciated. The area to be swept is about 2 acres.

Larry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SamWright

I have mine which is Ohio Steel Lawn Sweeper. It has 50 inch W. sweeping path.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 3:39AM
exmar

Two acres???? AND leaves??? Won't work unless you really like driving back and forth to the dumping area!!! Remember, most of them you have to change the depth setting to travel to dump, then when you return reset.

I have a 50" which is only used in the thickest areas, it's full in about 40 feet. Wouldn't even consider it for leaves.

Consider a mulching deck with rear bagger. At the very least, get mulching blades for your existing mower, that'll help a lot.

Good luck,

Ev

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 12:39PM
rcmoser

Well, IMO bets raking. The lawn sweepers work great for me 1 1/3 ac. lots of leaves from Blackjack oaks all around. Mine only 42" but I still manage to bump trees and rub chain link fence. Yes lots of trips to the dump pile for burning, but lots more trips raking (unless you use big tarp system). Don't really work good in corners where leave pile up feet deep. For that a big tarp, rope, and big rake will be faster.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 8:47PM
tomplum

Sweepers vary hugely in quality. Parker is a good name to know. For the most part,a good quality 4 brush per side sweeper is the way to go.

Bookmark   November 28, 2012 at 1:39AM
bingopin

I have had excellent results with lawn sweepers. Gumballs, pine cones, pine straw, and leaves. Can require frequent dumping but beats raking by a mile. Take tomplum's advice and get the highest quality sweeper you can afford. The lower end sweepers do not work nearly as well.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 7:43AM
More Discussions
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
Any Good Electric Brushcutter?
I have a small area, my lot is just 1/2ac and less...
InFlux
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™