suggestions for outdoor tool organization?

Lynn NevinsNovember 1, 2008

Hi all. I wasn't sure exactly where I should post this. Here's my dilemna:

I live in an apartment in New York City that comes with a small dirt yard where I do gardening. Naturally I like to keep my supplies close at hand, so I have things like a very large bag of mulch, extra planters, bags of rocks, stakes, etc., all just sitting out in my back yard.

I cannot afford to buy a tool shed as they all seem to be $1000 and up. I don't mind if these supplies get wet during rain/snow. But what I DON'T like is that all these things are sitting on the ground, and so due to stagnant water etc., all the bags etc get "yucky" with slugs etc. My main objective is to figure out a way to elevate all these things off of the direct ground.

I am thinking a tiered stand might be good, and while I searched a bit online, none of them seem to have shelves that are deep/wide enough, to be able to accommodate my large mulch bags, plastic storage boxes for rocks, etc.

Any suggestions how I can accomplish what I want...how to elevate these things off of the ground?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
popcornhill

Not sure how big you need but just get you some concrete blocks and set them side by side. Then put your stuff on top of the blocks. I'd use haydike (sp) blocks for height....DT

Bookmark   November 1, 2008 at 7:18PM
cloudcrasher

Home Depot has some large, molded plastic, storage boxes that were $99. If you don't want to spend that much, check out the LARGE size coolers, they are $30 ++.

Bookmark   November 2, 2008 at 8:58AM
turnage(z7a TX)

You also might give a look at Rubbermaid's website. They have a lot of outdoor storage solutions, but they're also kind of pricey.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 5:47AM
jimtnc(7b Raleigh tttf)

Run by some of the bigbox stores and ask them for a few of their wooden pallets. They get things off the ground and you can probaly get them free.

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 8:32AM
dom1961

Pallets and a tarp.......$20.00.......Done!

Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 11:33AM
squirejohn zone4 VT

There's another outfit (Shelter Logic) that sells tarp sheds. I bought a 6X6'three years ago for $99.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 4:49AM
twelvegauge(8)

I use pallets for keeping bags off the ground - but there are different grades and sizes. I buy 4-foot square pallets that are made of oak - which means that they are big and heavy. I set them up on bricks so that they don't lie directly on wet ground. I get them at a pallet supplier, who sells mainly to truckers and businesses - try "pallets" in the yellow pages. Seems like I paid $6 each the last time I bought them.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 11:41AM
More Discussions
Any Good Electric Brushcutter?
I have a small area, my lot is just 1/2ac and less...
InFlux
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
Craftsman Snowblower Recall
Did anyone else receive a recall notice in the mail...
pjrsjr
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™