need remote for old garage door opener

blkeeler(7 NM)November 9, 2008

I have an old Genie chain drive (model 200). The receiver box is separate and says Cryptar II Control, Model AR-50, Freq = 325, Alliance Mfg.

I bought a universal remote at Home Depot, but I can't figure out if I have DIPs or a learn button. I can't find either one. I assume I need to look by the antenna on the receiver box. I took the little black cover off as there were no buttons of any kind visible on the outside. Under the cover is a circuit board, but I do not see a button or DIPs anywhere.

The actual motor (Genie) has a heavy metal cover that is bolted in place. I don't think that I should mess with that.

Also, a friend with built-in remote in his Lexus programmed his car to work with this garage door opener. I think he said he did it by using the old remote (now dead). His car unit was able to "read" the signal.

Can anyone help?

Bonnie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Alliance Mfg made Genie openers way back when. The radio frequency has been changed at least twice since your model was made. To do what you want to do will require a new opener. You might be able to use that universal remote with the new unit.

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 10:08AM
heimert(7)

1) I'm not sure, but it maybe possible to buy a new receiver to activate the opener.

2) A lot of cars now come with HomeLink installed, which allows you to program buttons in your car (usually on the mirror or visor) to work with the current generation of garage remotes, which do not use DIP switches but rather rolling code technology. If you get such a receiver and have such a car, this will be possible.

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 2:27PM
djones2010

i had a friend run into this situation before, all he did was put a radio control kit. check out the link i, think this is where he got it from.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guardian Entry Systems

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 1:51PM
don_1_2006

djones you are posting to someone that was here in November 2008. I doubt he is still coming back looking for ideas.

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 2:09PM
blkeeler(7 NM)

I'm the poster of the original message, and I still am trying to find a solution.

Thanks, djones2010, for the link to the radio control unit. I'll check it out.

Thanks, GardenWeb, for emailing me whenever posts a follow-up to my original message.

Bonnie

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 2:29PM
don_1_2006

I guess when you are looking for miracles you just don't quit.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 4:17PM
djones2010

Don
i do what i can to help. who knows someone might be reading this and it helps.

where are you from don?

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 3:58PM
mtobias1(7a, VA)

Hi Don Did the miracle happen? I now have the same issue.
Old Sears openers in a house just purchased. The fools chucked out the old openers.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 6:43PM
cuongtruong86

Maybe it's too late but in order to use a remote control for that model (Genie 200) you need a Genie radio control model: GR390. After you have that, when you buy the remote control, you need to get the remote that said: "for non-rolling opener". Follow the instructions and you good to go.
Sincerely,
Cuong truong

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 5:48PM
larrynky

check out ebay. I have bought several remotes there. You may find the exact one you have...it may be used but still works...

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Adjusting Carb on Toro S200 Snow Blower
I have a small 2 stroke Toro S200 Snow Blower that...
rgress
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™