Need Raised Bed Watering Solution

suntower(z5 WA)June 25, 2014

Hi,

I've got a dozen raised beds I use for veg. They're about 3' x 12' each. I've tried a 'drip' but I'm planting stuff almost all year round and the crops are spaced differently so it's a PITA to work around the tubes. I've -routinely- sliced into them.

I was wondering if there were some fairly inexpensive sprinkers I could put just in the corners of each bad that would use a narrow but long mist pattern. I've seen things like this at golf courses but I'm sure they're expensive.

Or if there are better options, I'm all ears. The key points are:
---relatively cheap
---something durable that I can't break like these drip things.

Hopefully that's not asking for the moon.

TIA.

---JC
Seattle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
molex

I use Ein Dor Mini (dripworks.com) sprinklers in some my raised beds, they work great. I connect them to a 1/2" mainline with valves for each bed, I use two of 5sq/ft sprinklers per 8 foot bed. The coverage is great and spray pattern only waters the soil.

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 8:58AM
suntower(z5 WA)

Thanks. I've never used these before. The prices seem almost =too= cheap (if that's possible) so maybe I'm missing something?

In addition to the sprinklers, what else does one need to make a complete 'system'? I guess there is some sort of mini-tube and then an adapter to a standard hose? Do they offer a complete kit of some sort?

Thanks!

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 3:39PM
molex

i would recommend one of their Heart of the Garden kits, and then purchasing separately the individual emitters of your choosing.

So you need a filter, a psi regulator and 1/2" mainline tubing for a basic system (some kind of metal U hold downs). Then all the 1/4" tubing (soaker or regular) your Ts and Elbows and all sorts of different plugs and adapters running to your various zones.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 8:20AM
toolbelt68 (7)(7)

I suggest you use copper pipe hold downs with copper nails for holding down the feed tubing.

Also, instead of having the tubing down next to the ground why not install a wire/cable down the center of the beds about 2 feet above everything. Then tie wrap the feed hose to the wire, install your emitters and stand back... lol

A 1/2 hose feed line with a 20 psi regulator can service at least 200 emitters. (I've heard up to 600) So one timer/filter/regulator should work for your whole setup if you connect the beds together.

Don't forget to install a back flow unit at the head of your feed line as you don't want any water back-flowing into the house water system. It has to be at the highest point in the system.

The end of the feed line should be at the lowest point in your water system so the input line can completely drain.

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
irrigation advice needed....
I have absolutely no experience with irrigation other...
discojo
Discrepancy in Drip Line Water Flow
Over the weekend I installed some drip line in my garden....
raymondo17
roots in pipe
Hi, I am new to this forum. I live in Idaho and we...
atstephens9
Need help with irrigation....
Hi. I have bought 100 meters of 4mm inner diameter...
Carlos Arruda
Correct irrigation design for perennial/shrub border
I've finally bitten the bullet and had a swimming pool...
skoprow
Sponsored Products
Full/Queen 600TC Lowell Flat Sheet - WHITE/CHAMPAGNE
$399.00 | Horchow
RION Furniture - New Roma Bed in Hand Rubbed Brown - BED106EKHBR
Great Furniture Deal
P3878-80: Calven Forged Black Three-Light Foyer Pendant
$229.41 | Bellacor
Daniadown Alpine Down Comforter - Summer Weight Multicolor - 00303S5
$139.32 | Hayneedle
Amelia Queen Fabric Bed Frame in Gray
$549.00 | LexMod
Green Velvet Feather and Down Filled Throw Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Priage Hybrid 11-inch Euro Box Top King-size Comfort Gel Memory Foam and iCoil M
Overstock.com
Fatboy Doggielounge by Fatboy
$99.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™