how to flush out sprinkler system?

rank543June 5, 2009

What is the best way to flush out a sprinkler system. I am replacing my valves and want a clean start. I have seven zones on a deep well. Should I do each head or just the furthest one. Thanks for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

Hi rank,

Of course to be sure, remove all heads in each zone and turn the water on in that zone. Flush until you see clean water from the farthest head. Hopefully you have good pressure so water makes it to the last head. If you don't have enough pressure to flush all your heads, then start replacing closest heads as they become clean. It is probably easier to just remove the last head and flush until clean and deal with individual heads that show spray pattern problems. Good luck. Aloha

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 9:08PM
rank543

Thanks Lehua, I'll try the furthest one away first. My biggest problem is I have to dig out the heads to gain access to the filters. Then the debris and sand flows back into the pipe when the immediate area floods out. I have use a threaded riser to keep the debris out. I wish there was an easier way.

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 3:03AM
lehua49

Hi rank,

I don't know the type of you sprinkler you have, the filter is usually just below the screw-on nozzle. Try removing the whole head and screw in a threaded nipple with 90 degree bend attached to another nipple that flushes water away from your hole. That might work and it would be easy to make and install. Aloha.

Bookmark   June 6, 2009 at 8:30AM
rank543

Thanks Lehua, I'll try that. The hardest part is working in the Florida sun and humidity. I should've done it in the winter. Take care.

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Problem valve
Hi, I have got a problem with my newly installed irrigation...
cozbell93
Help identity sprinkler valve
We bought a house last year that has one zone that...
alg42
sprinkler selection question
I'm doing some sprinkler maintenance and replacement...
donkeypebbles
metal inlets for anti-siphon valve manifold
Hi, I'm installing a new sprinkler system and I read...
thanedar
Drip Irrigation Help
Hi, I'm looking to install a drip irrigation system...
Dan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™