do 1 yr old bushes flower?

garyderosa(6)May 2, 2012

In my ordering binge this year i got 2 new roses from northland. They were Jude the obscure and Aromatherapy. I figured i was getting bareroot grafted but when they arrived they were 1 year old green house grown ownroot. Now i know i should be excited to have own root"which i am" but i thought they would be established and older. they are healthy but only about a foot tall with stems the width of a thermometer. Will they flower this summer, if not how long does it take. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
epis

They probably should... The flower might be smaller though.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 1:59PM
flaurabunda(6a, Central IL)

I've ordered quite a few from Northland. Mine flowered, but not very many and not very large. Maybe 4, 5 blooms? I did pinch off the first set of buds, though, so that they would grow strong roots first. We also had a very cold & wet spring last year, so my roses got a much later start than normal last summer.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 2:17PM
wirosarian_z4b_WI

My experience with small new own root roses is that the smaller rose bushes (ie "minis") will flower fairly well but the larger plant size roses (ie climbers & roses that grow to +5 ft tall)will flower very lightly & sometimes not at all the first year. Remember the saying "the 1st year they 'sleep', the 2nd year they 'creeper' & the 3rd year they 'leap'.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 8:20PM
seil zone 6b MI

I've had repeat blooming seedlings (not rooted cuttings) bloom within 8 weeks of germination so I'd say yes, they should bloom this year. The blooms will probably be fewer and smaller but unless it is a non-remontant rose it should bloom. My once blooming seedlings can take up to 3 years to give me their first bloom.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
Rainbow Happy Trails
My local nursery has a rose named Rainbow Happy Trails....
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
I will be converting my rose garden this spring
After two brutal winters where temperatures have reached...
dmoore66
Is "horticultural oil" just mineral oil?
I've been reading about it and am confused. I know...
nonconformist_nymphette
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
To Pascali or not?
I'm contemplating planting a hedge of roses and my...
kublakan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™