LLawn Chipper and Vac won't start

hibishNovember 24, 2009

I bought a Craftsman Professional Lawn and Chipper Vac to vacuum leaves off my 2 cares. It has a OHV I/C Briggs & Stratton engine. I mis-read the directions and overfilled it significantly with oil, probably twice as much as needed. I started it with this oil in it. Of course it blew out the muffler and smoked. I quickly turned it off and realize my dumb mistake. I drained all of the oil, all of the gas, and changed the spark plug and air filter. I refilled with fresh oil correct amount and fresh gas. Started right up, smoked for a few minutes, and worked great. Thoght I was clear. I used it for about an hour, dumpoed the load and turned it off to break for lunch. When returning from lunch, about an hour later, I am unable to start the engine. Following advice of many sites, I tested. It appears my fuel system is fine, but I do not have any spark at the plug wire. Did all that extra oil cause a problem? I don't understand why it ran flawlessly for an hour and now no spark. Is it time to take it in for repair? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Is there a kill switch or safety switch to check? Either of these provide a ground to the small wire which goes to the coil. So if you were to remove the ground wire and still no spark out the plug wire- it points to the coil.

Bookmark   November 25, 2009 at 1:38AM
More Discussions
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
loger_gw
Backpack Leaf Blowers
I have been looking around at backpack leaf blowers,...
OutdoorGuy1
New Ryobi S430 engine dies on full throttle
Just bought a new Ryobi straight shaft 4 Cycle S430...
losrubios
MTD 8HP SnowBlower
I have an MTD 8hp SnowBlower Mod # 317E640F352. The...
Jeffery Smith
Harbor Freight small utility tralier question
I just purchased this harbor freight trailer. http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html I...
rlmunsey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™