What kind of fork is this?

gyozu(7 Winston-Salem, NC)November 11, 2011

Got this unusual looking fork today from the local Habitat.

Might have come from Sears, handles are Craftsman red.

Looks like it would be good for turning the garden.

Overall length is about 50"-54" and the tines are 9" from point to crossbar. Tines are ~1/2' stock.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You put your foot on it to push it into the earth; the reason for the arched opening and wide area of steel. I'd say it's for potatoes or some other underground vegetable.

    Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 7:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I agree. It looks like a variation on a broadfork, but meant for narrow beds or VERY heavy soil. The two inner tines create a lever, good for breaking soil and lifting roots. It would be nice for harvesting large carrots or parsnips.

    Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 8:57PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™