24hr Soaker Hose Irrigation for a Month While Away?

whiteRhino(8b)June 14, 2013

Hey everyone,

I'm headed out of town for the month of July and am having a hard time finding a neighborhood punk to water our raised beds while we're gone. Our summer sun here is brutal, if you haven't watered by noon your plants are almost good as dead.

Considering that, I was thinking about just leaving running a soaker hose system for the month while we're gone, and having someone swing by every couple of days to check on things. Is this feasible, or do I need a shutoff timer?

Thanks for any insight!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

wr,

It is feasible. I would find out your systems pressure and install an inline pressure regulator. Regulate the pressure to about 15 psi thru the soaker hose(reduce chance of hose bursting). The other item to check is your soil type. If it is clay versus sandy soil. If it is sandy you would have a problem of water moving thru the soil to reach all the roots. Clay would wet a larger area from the soaker. A timer would be the ideal way, but leaving the hose on continually at a small rate would be okay. The rate needs to be very low for continuous flow. You should do some trial & error practice now to determine the rate you want. JMHO Aloha

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 8:01PM
fairfield8619(Zone 8 NW LA)

Why not just go ahead and buy the timer? They are pretty cheap and you would never have to worry again, you could even use it all the time from then on.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 9:01PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

When I ran a soaker continuously while out of town my water bill almost caused a family issue. A timer that runs on batteries served me fine for longer than the life of the soaker,

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
drip irrigation design
I ran 2 pipes around my property for drip irrigation....
jimmy21
Drip Irrigation Help
Hi, I'm looking to install a drip irrigation system...
Dan
rainbird esp-rzx controller problem
After two summers of working normally, this year the...
MikeSanderson
Sprinkler to Soaker Hose/Drip System
My project to convert an existing sprinkler zone to...
mixdplate
Greenhouse irrigation advice
We are planning to build a 13'x'30' greenhouse in the...
rogerius
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™