Miricle Grow Garden Feeder and Drip System?

ben_950(5b West MI)June 22, 2007

I use a drip tape irrigation in my vegetable garden, and was wondering if anyone has ever used a Miracle Grow Garden Feeder as an in-line fertilizer with their drip system. The spray nozzle on the Garden Feeder screws off and will accept a standard hose coupling, so I believe it will integrate smoothly. Has any one done this, and did it work well?

I'd also like to know how I could use this set-up to apply fish and seaweed emulsion (what concentration to put in the tank). For example, my fish emulsion says to add 1 tsp per gallon of water. I'm not sure how that would translate to what goes in the Garden Feeder tank.

Thanks, Ben

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle Grow Garden Feeder

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
svdbybld(9)

I use the same method about every 2-3 weeks. I also use Fish Emulsion. I usually fill it up about an 1/8 of the way with the Fish Emulsion and add the rest with compost tea. I beleive the MG sprayer will spray out 50 gallons ( I think I read this on the website or on the bottle). But 50 tbls seemed a little high to me. My plants have been growing fine with the amount I am using. Maybe someone else has a more presice method.

Bookmark   June 22, 2007 at 1:20PM
kachinee

I would never put any chemicals into any portion of a home water supply line, including a sprinkler. I don't even like the hose-end feeders where people use weed killer and so on.
What if a tiny bit backflows into your house water supply and your kid drinks it and gets sick ? It isn't worth the chance.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 3:10AM
ben_950(5b West MI)

I understand your concern kachinee, and I'm sure in some circumstances there is a chance of back flow contamination. However, I have 50 feet of hose between the garden and the faucet. And, when I tested this setup over the weekend, the fertilizer tank was emptied in about 20 minutes. After that I disconnected the feeder and continued to irrigate with plain water. I see no chance of back flow contamination as long as I follow the same procedure. I'm glad you brought up the point though. To be honest, I hadn't thought of that possibility.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 8:50AM
svdbybld(9)

My drip system has a backflow preventer. I sure hope it works. I never thought of it like that.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
drip irrigation design
I ran 2 pipes around my property for drip irrigation....
jimmy21
Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture Sensor
I'm looking to connect a Rain Bird SMRT-Y Moisture...
cdmanoise
Drip Irrigation Help
Hi, I'm looking to install a drip irrigation system...
Dan
Irrigating with portable barrels
I'm wanting to irrigate my garden with a series of...
jon2412
Help identity sprinkler valve
We bought a house last year that has one zone that...
alg42
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™