Am I doing it right?

greenthumbs69May 3, 2014

This year i wanted to try and make my own compost. I think i have more than enough of the needed materials to do so. We have 4 horses in our barn and 37 chickens in our coop so manure isn't an issue i have a 15 foot high pile every 3 months! Most of the manure is a mixture of wood shavings, straw, and a little uneaten hay. About a week ago i took a couple wheel barrow loads of horse and chicken manure mix and layered it with pine needles and and chopped up corn stalks and some coffee grounds the wife had saved. I watered the pile and covered with a black tarp to see what would happen. Checked it today and it was steamy hot when i flipped the 4x4' pile.
My question for you soil experts is, Will this continue to compost well and how long should i let it sit before i turn it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumbzdude

if you want the compost fast you flip it every four days until the pile is cool....when you flip put all the material on the outside of the pile in the middle. It should take about 18 days-1 month. Cover the pile with a tarp so that the rain does wash any nutrients away.

This post was edited by greenthumbzdude on Sat, May 3, 14 at 21:15

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 9:13PM
greenthumbs69

I was concerned about not having enough greens but apparently it must be doing good if it's cooking like it is.

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 10:56PM
gardenper(8)

Fresh manure is a green, and you have plenty of that!

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 12:23AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

This is where thinking in terms of "greens" and "browns" can get you onto a slippery slope since animal manures are a "green" (Nitrogen source) even thought they are brown in color. In a compost pile with a close C:N ratio (less then 30:1) the bacteria will get busy and digest what is there fairly quickly and generate lots of heat, but if the food source, Carbon, is not there they soon slow down and stop.
Although advocated by many covering an actively digesting compost pile with a tarpaulin is not a good idea since that can limit air exchange and could create anaerobic conditions. Covering as compost pile with a tarpaulin does nothing to create the conditions the bacteria need to digest that material.
This link may be of some help for those wishing to make compost very quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compost in 14 days

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 6:32AM
More Discussions
bread in compost
New to composting and confused now. What is wrong with...
jamb
Can I compost black walnut shavings and safely use the compost?
I do wood working and I use a lot of black walnut wood....
mike758
How can I get my soil to hold water longer?
I live in Augusta and I just bought a bunch of Bricko's...
ryank817
what about those compost tumblers?
We just moved from Northern IL to TN and I need a quick...
ryseryse_2004
Clay
Moving to a new home with a blank canvas and landscape...
dnamama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™