electric chippers

joe11050November 18, 2012

I'm interested in buying an electric chipper. I've gone electric with my mower and trimmer and so don't even own a gas can. I know they aren't as powerful as the gas powered, and I can live with that. As a group they are inexpensive ($100-200) and the range is fairly narrow; my fear is of buying something that breaks right away. The user reviews I see online are a mixed bag. I did see one that suggested the McCulloch is better than the rest, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere I look. Absent any direction from anyone I'll likely buy toward the middle of the price range and hope that careful usage keeps it intact. I've got a good pile of recent storm debris which is sort of pushing me to buy now, but I imagine I could use it quite a lot for pruning bushes and cutting back perenniels.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joe11050

I suppose it is clear, but I didn't explicitly ask: does anyone have much experience with electric chippers? Can you steer me away from bad products and/or toward a good one?

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 8:13AM
loger_gw

joe11050, IMO, you should be able to find a fair grade of chipper that has an option of being electric or gas. Such as, I have found this with Air compressors mainly (1 HP electric or 5 HP gas) Log Splitters, etc.. I feel I noticed a fairly heaver chipper here modified to electric. I guess you get less power with electric but not bad from my experience with a 1 HP Air Compressor and 1 HP electric driven hydraulic pump on a Log Splitter.

BUT!!! The 100 - 200.00 ranges in cost might be a Short Lived Toy. One was given to me that was not worth my time (the plastic construction was too damaged).

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:36AM
runswithscissors2010

I don't think the small electric chippers are worth the powder to blow them to hell. I've tried them. They're reasonably powerful, but are designed with chutes that are so narrow and constricted that it would take you 2 days to shred a bushel of leaves. That's so you can't hurt yourself. Thank the lawyers for that. I converted an old Super Tomahawk from gas (dead engine) to electric by installing a big 3 h.p. Baldor motor on it. This required an outdoor 220 volt outlet wired to a GFCI 220 v. circuit breaker. It has ample power. I don't use it much for chipping, but a lot for shredding. It can handle cornstalks, brussel sprouts stems (very tough and woody), and just about anything I throw at it. It's nice not to have to fuss with gasoline. Of course, you'd have to convert it yourself, or hire someone to do it for you. Point is, it can be done. And of course the Super Tomahawk isn't the only machine that could be converted.

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
1983 troy-bilt cultivator plus wheels
Read with great interest all the posts so far for the...
rayleman
cultivator or tiller or both
In the past I've manually tilled and cultivated my...
Bushwhacker Blood
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
loger_gw
New Ryobi S430 engine dies on full throttle
Just bought a new Ryobi straight shaft 4 Cycle S430...
losrubios
Mantis Tiller purge bulb
I cannot get gasoline to come into the purge bulb....
Alice40
Sponsored Products
Three-Light Rubbed Oil Bronze Bath Fixture
$66.31 | Bellacor
Blue 3528 LED Strip Light 60/m 8mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Saber 4-burner Built-in Stainless Steel Grill
FRONTGATE
Minimalist Raw Brass Pendant
Barn Light Electric Company
Four-Light Rubbed Oil Bronze Bath Fixture
$85.31 | Bellacor