Need to pump out of garbage can.

orchidluvr(Z6 SE Michigan)June 5, 2014

Hi!

I don't want to bore anyone so I'll keep it short. I grow orchids. I move them outside in summer. I have a greenhouse where they grow in winter. Irrigation is the biggest pain in the neck about the whole operation!

Water is best for watering orchids when it is at room temperature. I had an instant water heater installed but that thing died, and I had trouble using it when fertilizing anyhow. So I decided to try something different.

This is my new system: I have a 45 gallon garbage can and I put water and fertilizer in it. I water from that garbage can. I've been using a submersible pump to push the water up through the hose and nozzle so I can water my plant collection. This system worked well enough in winter when I have a 25 foot garden hose attached to the pump.

Summer. I move plants outside. The pump does not push water up 75 Feet of hose. Drizzles are all I get. :-(

I thought if I tried a different pump with more horsepower, things would improve. No dice. I don't understand why, but there is really no change in output between the one pump I got for free from a friend and the other one with the 1 HP motor.

I need a pump that will shoot a decent amount of water out of the end of 75-100 feet of garden hose. Any ideas or suggestions? I am very frustrated. I know there is some physics at work here that I don't understand. Any explanations?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lehua49

OL,
Pumps are rated for flow rate at a certain head (vertical height in feet the water has to push, not horizontal feet distance). You need to look at the pumping specs for these attributes. You didn't say two things that are necessary to evaluate your problem. Flow rate needed (fill up a know volume container and time it) and vertical distance from pump outlet to where you have your plants). This can be roughly approximated. Aloha

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 12:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchidluvr(Z6 SE Michigan)

Hi Lehua - The flow rate needed is, say, 4-5 gallons a minute? Or even a bit less. Just so the water comes out of the nozzle with a little force instead of dripping out. :-(

Vertical distance of perhaps 5 feet? I have to admit I don't understand this. It seems to me that if the pump just pumped with more power, it would fill the hose with water, and I'd get more pressure. There must be more to it than that, though, so I bow to your superior knowledge. I'll admit that I've never taken physics! :-)

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 1:15PM
More Discussions
Best well pump for drip hose irrigation
I am trying to find some information on selecting a...
srbasile
Garden not close to water source. Ideas?
My garden is about 400-500 feet from the closest water...
zrodimel
Fixing Scary Sprinklers to Auto.
My parents once hooked up auto-matic sprinklers, then...
Matthew Spencer
sprinkler selection question
I'm doing some sprinkler maintenance and replacement...
donkeypebbles
Irritrol RD900 Solenoid Chatter
Hi, I am trying to diagnose a problem with my sprinkler...
fullerlee
Sponsored Products
Pod Centric Chair in Pistachio
$397.99 | Dot & Bo
Cactus! Tea or Sugar Sachet Holder by Alessi
$66.00 | Lumens
Amber Module amber-module-5050-3 LED Module
EnvironmentalLights.com
60 x 32 Granite Shower Base Black Stone - VENISE SHADOW
Living'ROC
Robert Abbey | Buster Chica Floor Lamp
$335.50 | YLighting